Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 02-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #1
Castanza
Club Member

Audiophiles

Based on the info about cleaning LP's it is evident that there are some serious music listeners out there. How many consider themselves true audiophiles?
With the equipment that I have, I guess I would be considered a wanna-be, just middle of the road stuff.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
moob
Herf Meister

I just like music in any genre that has a sense of integrity to it. My sound equipment is an OK component system but nothing to brag about. Maybe someday!
Old 02-15-2003, 06:56 AM   #3
archmage

Well, I consider myself an aspiring audiophile Nothing really fancy yet, but got a nice set that I enjoy listening to, tubes all the way. There was actually a thread a while ago (started by me ) asking quite much the same question, so you might want to take a look at it too.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Hendrix
Club Member

I like the 70's Marantz,Sansui,Kenwood tuners and amplifiers...
The old tube kind!

I have a Kenwood from about 1977 that would blow the doors off anything put out today!I'm not just talking LOUD...I'm talking POWER with clarity...the same with (4) Marantz I own....

These fuckers kick the shit out of anything put out these days IMO!

Power and Clarity!

With the right set of speakers(Kliptsch)...you can hear nuances in songs youd never pick-up with this digital shit!

But...each his own!
JMO
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #5
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Kliptsch and Marantz
Since I was a professional audiophile back in the 80s (sold high-end stereo equipment), I will refrain from comment.......

The only modern component I have aside from a DVD player in my system are my Martin Logan Aerius i speakers, other than that everything else is from the late 80s and early 90s.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

I'm not hardcore about audio at all... ...honest... ...just ask my wife, she'll tell you. 8)

I am even more out of control with audio equipment and records than I am with cigars and wine. Tubes all the way, rooms full of equipment and records.

I really should seek professional help. :P 8)
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
scubadoo97
Club Member

I am still using my audio components from the 70s. An Accuphase E-202 tube amp, B and O turntable, and Yamaha NS-1000 speakers. Still sounds great but boy is this stuff heavy.
scubadoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Mysterblues
Club Member

my $$$ ends up in guitar equip before the stereo. Need to find a way to make better$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:28 PM   #9
Hendrix
Club Member

Andy,
Please elaborate about Marantz and Kliptsch???

These things are built like tanks and the sound quality is fabulous...even 30 years later!!!

What gives?

Just curious!
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #10
pcotton3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Please elaborate about Marantz and Kliptsch???
Man, that shit is just one step away from a Boom Box!

I'm only teasing. The Klipschhorn I first heard blew me away. They make GREAT speakers. I can't comment on the Marantz cause I never had or knew anyone that did have one.

I want to do a home-made tube kit, but that's on my long list of all the other wonderful things I want to do. I currently have a solid state NAD 100 watt amp. It's good for a non-tube amp. I also have a pair of Polk Audio speakers. I like Polk speakers and this is the second set I have bought. The first set, were SM-10's and I lost them in the flood a few years ago.
pcotton3 is offline   Reply With Quote