Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Yesenia

Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial - Lancero

This cigar is orgasm-inducing perfection. 2nd one, and I am left dumbfounded, yet again. I know you're all familiar this one so I won't bore you with the details. Just one thing Im wondering about. It's VERY full flavored, however, I was expecting more of a full-bodied cigar? (If that makes sense?)
Charter Member , Mild Cigar Lovers Coalition (MCLC)
Making others green with envy
Yesenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
bsslack
Herf Meister

Y,

Good to see Ya back on the board.

The Serie V Lanceros are indeed a tasty stick.

One of the challenges with the Lancero format in general, is Space. With the slender Ring Gauge You have a very delicate balance concern. Fuller flavor development is possible, but often affects Flavor and Burn Characteristics. So, many quality lines blend this size for Flavor over Power.

What I mean is, a Robusto (for example) has an average Ring Gauge of 48 to 52. That's plenty of room for Filler and Ligero to balance out. Think of it as a Percentage Equation. In a Robusto cigar that has a 50 ring gauge, You've got a lot higher filler to Ligero leaf Ratio. In a Lancero running 38 to 40 ring the physical Filler ratio is considerably less and it constitutes a greater Challenge to evenly distribute a single portion of Ligero in the overall make up of the cigar. It is even rumoured that some blends in this format forgo the Ligero altogether.

The La Flor Dominica's Double Ligero Lancero IMHO has one of the best Flavor to Power blends going. The Illusione Holy Lance is another that comes to mind.

Now, Before someone drops on me over it, The Holy Lance is technically classified as a Lonsdale. But to me it is within spec of a Lancero, so there.

The Lancero size is challenge to get right and for many years few examples were produced. The Revered Trinidad Fundadore and Cohiba Lanceros were nearly alone in the market, for many years.
The American Market in particular was very slow to embrace this size.
But, Spain, Hong Kong and parts of Europe seem to Prefer the smaller ring gauges and have always desired them.

Fortunately as cigars smokers Stateside grew in the Cigars Arts, more of Them came to appreciate this enjoyable size.

The Elegance of the Lancero size is part of the appeal. When done properly and smoked correctly (read: slowly) it can be a Most Enjoyable Experience.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Bearded1
Club Member

Re: Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial - Lancero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesenia
This cigar is orgasm-inducing perfection.
Good God! I need to get me one of those.
Bearded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
bsslack
Herf Meister

Re: Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial - Lancero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesenia
This cigar is orgasm-inducing perfection.
Good God! I need to get me one of those.

Ah.............................the "When Harry met Sally" effect.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Bearded1
Club Member

"I'll have what he's having."
Bearded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
bsslack
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded1
"I'll have what he's having."

Uhm, "What She's having." :X

A minor, but important distinction.

Cheers!

slack

Old 06-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I keep hearing how great these are. Now I have smoked a couple and while they are a good value and a nice tasting cigar, I would not consider them to be great. If the first 2/3 had the full flavor of the last 3rd, then I might reconsider. How about the rest of the Oliva V sizes, anything there that has more oomph from the getgo?
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
easyt

my favorite new cigar of 2007.
easyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000
How about the rest of the Oliva V sizes, anything there that has more oomph from the getgo?
Try the Churchill Extra(7 X 52) or the Belicoso(5X54).
Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
HerbWCP

I've tried the torp and the robusto as well as the lancero. For me the lancero is the perfect balance of oomph and taste. The torp and the robusto were very good cigars but for me they were a bit stronger and seemed a bit more unbalanced.