Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2002, 11:04 PM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

And now for something completely different...
I just got a box of SLR's from Ilja, and his recent special included a free box of "Vantas Coronas". Instead of firing up a Serie A, or the free RASS, I opted for one of these little things after dinner.

As near as I can tell, these 'coronas' are 4.5 x 38 ring (rather small for a corona!) and come packed 20 in a neat little cedar box. The appearance is a bit ragged, but the wrappers looked like a nice EMS shade - although a bit rough of about 1/3 of them. The shape actually reminded me of a very small Astral Favorito - sorta tapered at the head. The heads are already cut, without caps.

These cigars are a Dutch "dry cigar", and are a short filler cigar handmade with 60% cuban tobacco, 20% sumatra tobacco and 20% Java tobacco.

I wasn't expecting too much for a free box of cigars, but I actually found it to be a pretty tasty little short smoke. Aside from the wrapper being loose in places, the construction, burn, and draw were just fine - and it held the ash for quite awhile (until it made me nervous and I knocked it off).

The taste is a bit one-dimensional, but it is packed with flavor - and I could taste the Cuban tobacco in this cigar. Quite a little powerhouse.

I find it difficult to give this smoke a numerical rating (I have no idea what to compare it to), but it was a rather pleasant and tasty cigar.

For a 'normal' price of about $25 for a box of 20 (again, my box was a 'freebie'), I wouldn't mind adding a box of these to my order. This would be a good little cigar for a lunch break or other quick smoke.

Just my .02 worth!