Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
tefus
Starting Member

Oliva Master Blends Review

Origin : Nicaragua
Wrapper : Nicaragua
Binder : Nicaragua
Filler : Nicaragua
Size : 6 1/2" x 52

I ordered a box of the Oliva Master Blends because I was so impressed with the Oliva 'O' Maduro that any company that could produce such excellence, offering an elite cigar, must have something even better up its sleeve.

The wrapper was slight brown with small veins and a laser engraved symbol. The band fit perfectly around the symbol advertising how limited the cigar is. With a production amount of 375,000 I felt a special joy lighting this cigar.

The situation included my girlfriend and me sitting outside in 20 degree Michigan weather drinking a glass of Robert Mondavi 2000 Cabernet sitting by the grill where we had two steaks cooking.

As I cut the cigar my emotions sparked. As the flame penetrated the wrapper and I sucked in the smoke I was greeted with a mild flavor, not quite what I construe as a Nicaraguan cigar. Being new to cigars, the Nicaraguan cigars I've tried include the Padron 4000 and the Oliva 'O' maduro.

As the cigar smoked the ash was a bright white with hints of gray. The cigar released just the right amount of smoke with each puff. As I smoked down the first quarter of the cigar more flavors started to come out. It tasted like cherries mixed in with oak and a slight vanilla after taste. The smoke also became fuller bodied with more and more flavors hitting my taste buds as it smoked. At one point in time I almost felt like I could eat the smoke. The cigar burned incredibly, not one run the whole time it smoked.

I would place the cigar in the medium to full bodied category. It was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again. My girlfriend who helped me smoke it also loved the flavor and is starting to like cigars. I do think that a little time in the humidor will do wonders for bringing out more of the flavor. This was an excellent smoke and I would rate the cigar at 89 and with some time to let the cigar age I'm sure it will be up there in the upper 90's.

I hope you like my first review. I tried to find a review for this cigar and couldn't, so I decided to do one myself.

Thanks,
Todd
tefus is offline   Reply With Quote