Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Cuba Aliados Capa Clara Toro

My good friend Frank Santos at Reyes Family Cigars sent me a few prototype cigars, test smokes for new blends that RFC is working on. Very interesting appearance to a couple of them, which I'll review when I get a chance to smoke to them.

One of the ordinary-looking ones was a toro with a Connecticut wrapper, and Frank asked me to try that one first. After I sent him my impressions, I asked what it was, what it will be called, and when it will be released. The reasons I asked him that should become obvious. The appearance may have been ordinary, the cigar was anything but.

---

One word review: Winner!

Vitola: Toro, 6" x 52(?), parejo.

Pre-light: No detectable construction flaws. Smooth, lightly-veined, fragrant Connecticut claro wrapper. Bunch was uniform and firm, yet the draw was perfect. Pre-light flavors redolent of fine tobacco, suggestive of a bit of Nicaraguan ligero in the filler. Very nice.

During the smoke: I don’t usually smoke a lot of Connecticut-wrapped cigars because they’re generally too mild for my tastes. This one was very different. I would characterize it as on the mild side of medium-bodied, but oh my, the flavors! Layers of complexity that moved between different levels as I smoked it. I can't claim to have picked out a lot of specific flavors, just that they changed and I enjoyed them from start to finish.

From first draws to nub, excellent. Even burn, no touch-ups required. Slow, gentle smoking was rewarded with dense clouds of flavorful smoke. Just...wow!

Comments: I've made no secret of the fact that I hate the trend towards fat ligero bombs. This cigar really hit a sweet spot with me...an extremely flavorful smoke, subtle, full of finesse. A cigar that doesn't need to overwhelm your senses with brute force, but brings you enormous joy in the smoking through abundant flavor and interest. I could enjoy this one on any occasion, from morning smoke with coffee to after a big steak dinner with a snifter of cognac.

Highly recommended!

---

Frank tells me that this is the same blend used in the Puros Indios 2012 series, but with a Connecticut wrapper. The difference made by that wrapper is astounding. I quite like the PI 2012, but this one blew me away.

When released, the line will be called Cuba Aliados Capa Clara, and that it will be offered in five sizes: Robusto, Toro, Torpedo, Churchill, and Gordo (6x60). I wish there were a corona and/or a lancero in the line, but you can't have everything. Personally, I won't be grabbing up any of the Gordos , but I will want to add some of the others to my stash.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote