Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Summer Sports 2019

What is going on, beyond most waiting for college and NFL football?

Toronto Raptors beat the thought-to-be-invincible Golden State Warriors for the NBA crown, then the NBA goes into free-agency.

Tour de France is going, right now, stage 10 today as I type, the stage close to coming to an end. Frenchman Julian Alaphilippe is in yellow and in the natural order of things, Peter Sagan is in the green sprinters' jersey.

Two days ago on Saturday, Serena Williams was soundly beaten by Romanian Simona Halep 6-2,6-2 in just 56 minutes.

Yesterday, Serbian Novak Djokovic defeated Roger Federer 7-6(5) 1-6 7-6(4) 4-6 13-12(3) taking nearly five hours in what has already been described "one for the ages."

What else y'all got?
MLB All-Star game is past, now and the real baseball now begins.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Wasn't it that 2 days wasbthe g8ct?

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Gene
Club Member

Major League Soccer runs from March through October, so I'm set with NYCFC.

English Premiere league kicks off in a little more than 3 weeks. The 1st match pits Liverpool vs Norwich City on 8/9.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

Big XII media days in Dallas yesterday and today. Forty six days until Wlidcat football kicks off.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDad View Post
Big XII media days in Dallas yesterday and today. Forty six days until Wlidcat football kicks off.
SEC Media Days started yesterday in Hoover, Alabama, too.

MLS, it is interesting to me, that while 23 years ago I was foaming at the mouth with anticipation of MLS, and I am glad that the league is succeeding, I hardly if ever watch a match

Silly Season is upon the foreign leagues right now, and my club plays their first match on August 2nd or 3rd against Barnsley, I believe it is, at Craven Cottage. We have also already brought in a couple players which is super early for Fulham. I think we will keep much of our roster in place which should make for a solid season and good shot at promotion, again.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 07-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
N8DCJ
Club Member

During summer I typically only watch sportscar racing and indycar...

When Indians were doing good I watched them some what...

So now, I am just waiting for the Browns and Ohio State...

Although Ohio State might be iffy this year...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

The Tour was blown apart by heavy crosswinds on Monday, even the peloton was split into THREE.

Started into the Pyrenees today, this is still a fairly up-for-grabs tour at this late date, stage 13? of 21. They haven't visited the Alps, yet, either. Much will come together tomorrow, Friday the 19th as it's an individual time trial.

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-18-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Somehow or other Julian Alaphilippe is still in yellow, and the Pyrenees are killing everyone. NOT ONE team is in any sort of control, and some are falling off the back almost every day. Nairo Quintana is damn near on his own, again this year with his team Movistar able to keep up the last few days. Now they're sort of together today.

Ineos, the giant, is totally blown apart. This is totally wild.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I probably ought to go to a Braves game while they are mopping the floor with the rest of the league.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Three days removed, and Nairo Quintana wins the first Alps stage at Valloire and he is suddenly close in the G.C. Alaphillippe, meanwhile, despite daily predictions of his demise by Christian VandeVelde and others, is STILL in yellow. Two more Alpine stages then the Champs d'Elysee on Sunday. Time is running short for challengers, his lead is 1:30.

Roman Bardet is in polka dots today, dislodging Wellen who had worn the jersey for the last 15 days.

NFL Training camps are opening all around the country.