Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 05-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
mike toro

Iced Coffee w/ French Press ???

As the mercury rises in the South, the time for iced coffee fast approaches. Our drip machine broke recently, so the press pot is the only option.

Today I made my morning coffee (KB Knifefight in the french press – the morning standard). At about 1 p.m. the half craft I didn't drink was at about room temp. and I added ice and some milk. The result was a thick, cruddy, gritty mess.

Normally for iced coffee I would make a strong pot with the drip machine, pour over ice and put in the fridge. Can that work with a French Press w/o having a thick, sandy mess? What's the best way to make iced coffee with a press pot?

thanks.
mike toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
jaroth28
Herf Meister

I've never tried it, but I'm guessing that the thing that makes french press yummy, is the same thing that makes it unsuitable for ice coffee: it's not filtered enough. You could try straining it through cheese cloth, or perhaps using a thicker grind?
kind."

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
jaroth28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
JoeyBogus
Club Member

I make it pretty much like you normally (e.g., brew it with hot water) except with a little more ground coffee. After it's done, I just keep the press pot lid closed up and then let it sit in the pot for about an hour or so to get it closer to ambient temperature. Then just add ice cubes to a glass or whatever you're drinking it from and then pour the coffee over the cubes.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
spiny norman
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

You might try running it through a screen filter.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
scubadoo97
Club Member

I would just brew it, decant into a pitcher and put it in the fridge. You can also make ice cubes out of coffee so if you serve it over ice it won't get diluted.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
1f1fan

Re: Iced Coffee w/ French Press ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toro
Today I made my morning coffee (KB Knifefight in the french press – the morning standard). At about 1 p.m. the half craft I didn't drink was at about room temp. and I added ice and some milk. The result was a thick, cruddy, gritty mess.

thanks.
I don't know how to get rid of the gritty mess (maybe run it through a strainer of some kind) however....I will suggest using sweetened condensed milk instead of regular milk, or 1/2, etc...tastes much better to me.
1f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
scubadoo97
Club Member

Re: Iced Coffee w/ French Press ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1f1fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toro

thanks.
I don't know how to get rid of the gritty mess (maybe run it through a strainer of some kind) however....I will suggest using sweetened condensed milk instead of regular milk, or 1/2, etc...tastes much better to me.
Pour the coffee through a paper coffee filter to get rid of the sludge. A gold filter will still let some through. You may lose some flavor but in iced coffee with condensed milk it won't make much difference.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBogus
I make it pretty much like you normally (e.g., brew it with hot water) except with a little more ground coffee. After it's done, I just keep the press pot lid closed up and then let it sit in the pot for about an hour or so to get it closer to ambient temperature. Then just add ice cubes to a glass or whatever you're drinking it from and then pour the coffee over the cubes.
If you leave the brew sitting in the FP, you're still extracting from the grounds in the bottom. Maybe not at much as if you hadn't plunged it, but you're still extracting.

Pour the coffee out of the FP as soon as it's done brewing. Run it through a filter cone or a fine screen if you must. Then chill it and you're good to go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
mike toro

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try giving it an extra filter and let you know what happens.

mike toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
caudio51
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo97
I would just brew it, decant into a pitcher and put it in the fridge. You can also make ice cubes out of coffee so if you serve it over ice it won't get diluted.
I do that!
caudio51 is offline   Reply With Quote