Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
mike toro

A Coffee Connoisseur on a Mission: Buy High and Sell High

NY Times
By MICHAELE WEISSMAN
Published: June 22, 2006

GRANADA, Nicaragua — Geoff Watts turned up recently at the ceremony capping Nicaragua's 2006 Cup of Excellence coffee competition in the steamy 500-year-old Convent of San Francisco here. Mr. Watts, 32, is the green coffee buyer for Intelligentsia Coffee, a fast-growing privately owned retail and wholesale company in Chicago.

Coffee, Mr. Watts says, is his life, and he tries to attend most of the competitions in Latin America each year to find the best beans and build lasting relationships with growers.

"Relationship coffee" is one term Mr. Watts uses to describe how he does business — another is "direct trade."

"I find a coffee I love, build a direct relationship with the grower and then pay at least 25 percent above the Fair Trade price," he said in an interview. He also lavishes time and resources on his growers, inviting groups of them to Chicago to learn about the consumer side of the coffee business. Fair Trade certification, which is monitored by an international nonprofit organization, is intended to guarantee fair wages and labor conditions for farmers in developing countries.

Read the rest of the article at: LINK

Edited by mod MD to fix link and to conform to copyright infringement guidelines
mike toro is offline   Reply With Quote