Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
DCarp
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Guitar lessons - when to start?

Guys, my 2 year old is showing a very healthy interest in music. She's really into it, to the point that when she gets up or when we get home from being somewhere, she walks straight over to my XM radio and asks for "more". And she's no slouch in the music department -- Top 40 doesn't cut it, she wants jazz, the blues and rock.

My wife and I obviously want to encourage her. The other day my wife and daughter were in an antique store and our daughter saw an old 'First Act' guitar and she went nuts for it. The wife didn't get it, but instantly regretted it, so we went back this weekend and it was still there. Again, the kiddo went nuts for it, which effectively put the brakes on the rest of our trip to the antique store. When we got home, we shortened the strap (she's 2) and she strummed the crap outta that thing for an hour until we had to pry it out of her hands for dinner (she wasn't happy ).

So, I figure 2 is too young to start lessons of any type, but what do you think would be a good age to start? She's obviously interested in all things music (she also has some toy pianos that she plays for hours on end).
DCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
vernonator
Herf Meister

I would start her on piano lessons first (age 5/6) so she learns to read music and gets the practice regime down. Once she has done a couple years of that move into what ever instrument she shows interest in. Just my (and what we are doing for my daughter)
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
DCarp
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Thanks Vern - We were thinking something along those lines. Starting Piano around 4 & 6 and until then letting her bang on any instrument she can get her hands on. It brings her joy...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
beevod
Herf God

If she's musically gifted, no age is too young...and play her lots of early Louis Armstrong
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
DCarp
Contributing Editor
Club Member

She's all about music -- last night I asked if she wanted Blues or Jazz -- an emphatic "Boos" was the answer. Later she asked me to change it to Jazz...makes me smile.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
mannish
Herf God

If I was doing it again my kids would take voice lessons FIRST. Singing is way harder and the confidence you get is terrific - They may never sing but speaking in front of groups...etc will come much easier. No question voice lessons, I think it should be taught in public school.

Singing was so tough on me - playing guitar in front of people was way, way easier than singing.

I was told ukulele is a good starting point to guitar for very young fingers.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCarp View Post
When we got home, we shortened the strap (she's 2) and she strummed the crap outta that thing for an hour until we had to pry it out of her hands for dinner (she wasn't happy ).
Please do not feed the musicians they will eat eventually - She obviously had a groove going and you interrupted it.......
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Yep! Gotta play when the inspiration hits or you might lose something good!

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote