Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
perrymedik

Building my own Cabinet Humidor

All Hands (Navy speak for "everyone")

I am going to undertake the building of my own cabinet humidor.

I am planning on having the front and two sides construced of glass. I was however plainning on building the rest out of wood(obviously)

Does anyone forsee any any problems with using Red Oak as the construction material? On the interior of the cabinet I was planning on lining what little area that is not glass (Top, Bottom, Back) with Spanish Cedar approx 1/2 to 3/4 thick.

Also, in terms of humidification, I have about 1 1/2 pounds of 70% beads that I bought a while ago. Would these be sufficient (depending of cubic volume of coures) to keep my humidity correct? I was thinking of adding a small CPU fan to keep air moving. Do I need much more then that, i.e. gettin' all fancy with some high tech humidifier?

And would anyone have any recomendations for placement? I was thinking of having a slotted false bottom a store them and the fan there.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome! Since I am in the planning stages, I can be as creative as I want, so throw the ideas out before I start building!

Thanks!

Doc Perry
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
mhotek

I don't see anything wrong with the choices. You might want to read the other cabinet humidor thread in here which has more information about Spanish cedar, liners, etc. than you probably will ever want to know.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
MTMOuse

I don't believe you need to go that thick with the Spanish cedar, 3/8" should be thick enough.
MTMOuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
AKmik
Starting Member

spanish cedar humidor lining http://www.internetlumber.com/ The best price I found anywhere.

Make sure you seal your oak well, it can get springy with some temp/humidity fluctuation.

Should be a sweet project, How big are you going?
AKmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
airjoe
Starting Member

Internet Lumber has great prices but there is no availability.
In 3 generations there will be no more Democrats.
airjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
perrymedik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmik
spanish cedar humidor lining http://www.internetlumber.com/ The best price I found anywhere.

Make sure you seal your oak well, it can get springy with some temp/humidity fluctuation.

Should be a sweet project, How big are you going?
What would you recomend using to seal the red oak with?

I am looking at making it match the wine rack I just built. It's dimensions are 20"w 51"h 22"d. It should hold a cigar or two I'm thinking! LOL!!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
tight_ash
Club Member

I can't wait to see the finished product. That will be one sweet humi!
tight_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
Bob Staebell

perrymedik,

Your choices are fine except red oak for the case work. My experience has been that red oak is 4-10 times more likely to warp than some of the other readily availalbe woods.

Statistically, honduran mahogany, cherry & black walnut are the most stable. Maple & white oak are less stable, but still within acceptable limits. The rate of warping for red oak ran as high as 20% in some desk top humidors that I built in the early 90's--at which point I vowed never to build a red oak humidor again.

If someone desires the look of a red oak cabinet humidor, we use white oak & a multi step dye process to make it look more like red oak.

This doesn't mean you can't use red oak, just be aware that it has a higher potential for issues.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
Bob Staebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
Bob Staebell

perrymedik,

Your choices are fine except red oak for the case work. My experience has been that red oak is 4-10 times more likely to warp than some of the other readily availalbe woods.

Statistically, honduran mahogany, cherry & black walnut are the most stable. Maple & white oak are less stable, but still within acceptable limits. The rate of warping for red oak ran as high as 20% in some desk top humidors that I built in the early 90's--at which point I vowed never to build a red oak humidor again.

If someone desires the look of a red oak cabinet humidor, we use white oak & a multi step dye process to make it look more like red oak.

This doesn't mean you can't use red oak, just be aware that it has a higher potential for issues.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
Bob Staebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #10
perrymedik

Thanks Bob! I will have to take a look at availability of those other woods you have mentioned. That was some great input!