Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

Smoking up my old cigars, 10-15 years.

Ashton Wizard 2005 - One of the best cigars I have ever smoked. 95

Ashton ESG - Ashton's age the best imo. Cigar lasted almost two hours and every puff was great. 92

Camacho PE first release - made with some pre embargo tobacco. Not bad when new, aging didn't do much for them. 88

El Original - Nothing special. 87

Graycliff Espresso first release - I had high hopes for this one. Not bad but forgettable. 87

Opus X Lost City first release - Disappointing 84

Perdomo Edicion de Silvio first release - what a turd. Put it out not even halfway. They were supposed to be Perdomo's flagship but, well not quite. They had to have known their supposed Opus X beaters weren't very good but they released them at like $28 each anyway and with very ornate cabinets too, but they were just ok at first and aging was no friend to them. 77

Last edited by Ringo; 10-08-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
N8DCJ
Club Member

Ringo

While I have only had maybe 30 aged cigars , 10-12 years old , some where good, others , eh , not so much ...

Some of it may be because I didnt start smoking cigars until 2012 , then a 2 year break because of personal reasons ... so , I never got to experience those sticks back when , sadly, if they dont age well I dont get to experience what they were I guess ...

Enjoy them as they were and what they have become ...tastes change , and sadly so do some cigars , but , enjoy as best you can...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Ringo
Club Member

You have that right. As you can see from the list it went from 95 to 77. Like you said some age well and some not so much. I still have some more old ones, mostly Fuente and Fuentes generally age well. Although I had an Opus X on that list and it was the second worst. You should NEVER have a bad experience with an aged Opus X. It's not acceptable to me.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
I still have some more old ones, mostly Fuente and Fuentes generally age well. Although I had an Opus X on that list and it was the second worst. You should NEVER have a bad experience with an aged Opus X. It's not acceptable to me.
I agree with you. For whatever reason, I cut my teeth on 8-5-8 naturals, but have gravitated away from Fuente. We know they make outstanding cigars, but you are absolutely right.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
dz130
Herf Meister

Definitely.

I'm going through my old stuff, and have not been really impressed. Maybe my buddy didn't care for them the way that he said that he did. They all seem to a bit on the dry side even though I've had the humidity a bit high.

The stuff that I have purchased recently is heads and tails better.

The de Silvio was very good when I had it on release.

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Ringo
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz130;2814754/
The de Silvio was very good when I had it on release.
I also had one on release and thought it was very good, however every one I had after that was mediocre. I bought a ten pack from somebody here for $100 and none of them were nearly as good as that first one. Now JR and Holt's are trying to dump them with new labels or else they just resurrected the name and used it on a new blend. I think it is one of those deals where they put a very high box price on them that nobody would pay and then offer fivers or ten packs at much lower prices. I got caught a couple of times that way before I got smart.