Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Reyes Family Premier Perfecto

Reyes Family Premier Perfecto

Wrapper leaf: Maduro Ecuador Sumatra
Binder leaf: Nicaragua
Filler leaves: Nicaragua, from Condega & Jalapa
Dimensions: 5 inches by 56-ring gauge

It’s funny what one discovers when clearing papers from the desk. Never mind that the Holiday Season is upon us. I’ve just stumbled across the scribbled notes of a potential review dating back to mid September.

Ah yes. Now I remember. A late Saturday afternoon in the country. The sun shone, and the breeze blew fairly briskly. I sat outside on the lawn, poured myself a healthy dram of Glenlivet’s excellent 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve and fired up the impeccably fabricated Perfecto, taking note of the mahogany-walnut hued outer leaf, the restrained sweetness of the fragrance and the fact that the ash didn’t want to fall.

This was obviously no ordinary cigar. The well delineated tobacco thrust seemed rich and dense, yet not in the least overbearing. And a subtle yet persistent tingle on the palate spoke of the work of experienced blenders. Behind the core tobacco taste lurked notions of blueberry, cassis, Spye apple, dark chocolate and Yemen coffee. A discreet hint of eucalyptus brought a refreshingly cool sensation to the overall warmth of the flavour spectrum.

Bottom line… Balanced and complex in the manner of a fine Bordeaux wine, and an hour and a quarter very well spent.

If searching for a distinctive cigar falling midline within the medium to intense strength range, you may just want to give this one a go.