Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
James

Single Blade Cutters

I have always been lead to believe that cutters with 2 blades are supperior to those with one. It makes sense to me. I was wondering about single blade cutters from companies like ST Dupont, any of there 300-400 dollar cutters that look and feel nice, I assume they will get the job done... right? Is investing in these a good idea (i know they are overpriced, try to keep that out of mind )
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I prefer a single blade. How much you want to spend is up to you. More money doesn't mean it will cut lots better. It will just look nice doing it.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
James

I mean I dont want to be spending 600 dollars, but I dont mind spending 100-200 dollars. I have seen some of the colibri 30 dollar single blade cutters. I want something that looks very classy and feels solid in my hand. I like something that feels like (and hopefully is) good quality.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Cloud9Bob
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Look for a single cutter blade made with Soligen steel.

"It takes a long time to understand nothing"

Cloud9Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
James

http://www.elighters.com/cocicu.html

What about cutters like the first two. They are about 30 bucks, has anybody had experience with these cutters?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Harleyrider
Club Member

IME, single-bladed cutters are more likely to tear the wrapper at the end of the cut than double-bladed. That's not to say that ALL single-bladed cutters will do it, just that they seem more likely to.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
PuffTheMagicDragon
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrider
IME, single-bladed cutters are more likely to tear the wrapper at the end of the cut than double-bladed. That's not to say that ALL single-bladed cutters will do it, just that they seem more likely to.
That has been my experience. Could be my technique or could be a low quality cutter, but it tears on the opposite site from where the cut started if that makes sense. I ordered a Cuba Crafters double blade cutter and it should be here this week. It looks top quality and has a lifetime warranty. I will do a review on here once I get it and get a few cuts outta it. For $10, I can't go wrong even if it isn't the greatest.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
dralph.
Starting Member

Location: probably watching a game...did you check the garage?
BargainHumidors.com has an excellent single blade cutter for 4 bucks.

It cuts as well as my Palio...seriously. It has a locking blade, easy to use. Not one single bad cut with it EVER.

I've been tempted to spend more on a "really nice" cutter before, but I know I'd just lose it..and this cutter is better than others I've tried that cost MUCH more.

I was completely surprised by the quality of this cutter.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Pr...id=ACC-HAVANAC
dralph. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Harleyrider
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralph.
BargainHumidors.com has an excellent single blade cutter for 4 bucks. It cuts as well as my Palio...seriously...
I have one of those. For a budget-priced, single-bladed cutter, I agree it's excellent. However, I can't say that it cuts as well as my Palio. As between the two, I'll take the Palio every time (unless size and weight are critical). I also have a $2 double-bladed guillotine from Holt's, and it cuts almost as well as my Palio, but not quite as smoothly. FWIW.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
dylanh
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon
Cuba Crafters double blade cutter and it should be here this week. It looks top quality and has a lifetime warranty. I will do a review on here once I get it and get a few cuts outta it. For $10, I can't go wrong even if it isn't the greatest.

Works like a charm for me . Haven't even thought about having to use that warranty, either.

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way."

- Robert Frost

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

- Bob Dylan

"Hell is boiling over. Heaven is full. We're chained to the world....and we've all got to pull."

-Tom Waits
dylanh is offline   Reply With Quote