Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Tatuaje RC-184 Ltd

I happened across this one at a Local B&M, a few months ago.

This is a kinda odd Perfecto, not quite an "A' size. But it's pretty Big 7 1/4 X 57.

It's not 57 ring across the length of the cigar, but tapers up from the head of about 48 I guess, to the bulbous foot of 57. This is a Big cigar, but the head is a good comfortable size.

It comes about half wrapped in foil with a bottom band with stripes of Red, Gold, White then Powder Blue. Once You remove the foil sheath, You find the traditional Tatuaje Brown band.

Visual inspection brings a potentially sad discovery. Previously hidden by the foil is a 3/4 in crack amidships in the wrapper. Not what I like to find in a cigar of this Class and investment. The rest of the wrapper reveals no other obvious imperfections. It's a Med. tooth wrapper, with a slight color variation in the dark Colorado shaded wrapper from head to foot. It's finish is a semi-gloss body, with a very Shiny foot.

The cap is Old Skool Lumpy.

The smell is crisp and clean with a light vegetal aroma.

Start the clip with 1/4, no air movement. Clip the same again a touch better this time. I spark the foot and am rewarded with a tiny plume of smoke for my effort. I give it a little time and She catches fine.

Flavor is very light with a really nice prolonged aftertaste. (read: all wrapper )
Flavor picks up slightly after the first 1/2 inch.

The first notes are weedy with a Cedar chaser, the aftertaste is much reduced. The burn is steady and clean so far.

I was expecting a Powerhouse, so far it has been a very well mannered mild to medium smoke.
At one inch the cigar reaches it's full diameter and I get a hint of what the future Portends.

The flavor is slowly developing upward. Notes of peat and pine, the ash is charcoal colored and firmly attached.

At 1 1/2 in the ash drops off as a solid piece.

The flavor is still fairly tame and lacks a real profile anchor. I trim the head again in the hopes of opening it up some.

The clip improves the draw substantially, at the same time I begin to get a bit of white pepper and a nice tingle on the tip of my tongue. I'm now 50 minutes into this cigar and just over 2 inches gone.

Thank Goodness the Flavor has arrived to the party! Earthy tones, sandalwood and the underling pepper. I've never had this type of profile from a Tat before.

Different is Goooood!

What began with almost no smoke, now is developing copious amounts of billowing blue clouds!

Burn has been consistent, another long stretch of ash dangling.

Flavor is stable and I do believe I'm catching a slight buzz.
That does not happen very much to me. Uhm, in fairness I have not eaten since lunch. I've enjoyed a couple of cool cervezas so far as well.

I'm at the 90 minute make and still not even half way through, granted I smoke slowly. (especially when doing a review or first smoke on a new cigar)
So far, zero touch-ups or relights and this big boy has been very well mannered.

Halftime in the NBA game and the Cubs are up 1 to nuthin on the Dodgers.

Still Woody and stable. This is a classy smoke, it just has me hoping for a bit more variety.

The crack in the wrapper has not been an issue at all, I'm within an inch of it and so far zero leakage.

Halfway through and no issues, I'm just waiting for it to "come on" and step up, flavor wise.

Four draws later........Bingo! I'm getting a nice transition into traditional Tat territory. A fuller flavor and that special feeling in the back of my throat. There is an increase in the spice and true tobacco taste.

So, just past halfway the cigar develops what I was hoping for 3 inches ago.

This is very nice right here.

What a turn around, this is like a completely different cigar!

Flavor and power in abundance, in addition to the amplified woody/cedar tones, there is a musky herb almost mushroom flavor. What a nice combination! Long ashes and perfect burn.

Two hour mark and I still have 2 3/4 inches to go.

First touch-up, it was wallowing in about 1/2 inch so I clean it up with the torch.

The Flavor has awoken my taste buds and it's veeeery nice.

How about those Celtics! Third quarter with a nice lead.

Cubs 4 to Nuttin.

This cigar is Sweet right now. Great flavor and plenty of smoke.

Ahhh, this was worth waiting for. Loads of tobacco flavor with the occasional burst of twang.
Just under two inches and encountering oil at the head, I clip again.

All is good. Still adding flavor and zero bitterness.

This baby just continues to get Better.
Oil development has my lips tingling, so I trim regularly.

Wow, what a turn around! This puppy started almost tame and is ending on fire. ( literally )

Celtics Win!

So do I! This is a great smoke lots of variety and Plenty of flavor. At one inch I let this Beauty go out and retire.

I'll have to pick up a few of these and give them some Cooler time. I'll wager that age will only help this smoke mature!

On balance I think that the tameness at the beginning may just be Youth in this size.

Three hours of Quality, It was definitely worth the effort and the expense.

mmmmmmmmm, that about covers IT!!!

Cheers!!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote