Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Guatemala Organic Coban (SHB) - El Tirol from SM's

I promised a review of this for the home roasters when I got it in, so here goes:

By way of background, the Organic Coban SHB that CBC had early last year was utterly magnificent, one of the 3 best coffees I've ever roasted. Sadly, I was only able to snag 10lbs of it before Russ ran out. So I've been looking for a replacement, as it were, ever since.

The Organic Coban SHB Fair Trade that Russ has now isn't in the same league, IMO. Good, but lacking the depth of body and incredible complexity of last year's lot.

The current offering (El Tirol) from SM's is much closer, and produces an excellent cup. Like most Guatemalans, the brewed coffee is very clean in flavors, with good body and rich complexity. To me, the cup has fruit essences (black cherry?) that are almost sweet at times, and underlying chocolate and spicy tones that I really like. The finish is clean, with a faint smokiness that no doubt comes from the roast.

I roasted this one just to the brink of second crack, and have rested it 12 and 36 hours. Brewed in a press, it's a bit less oily than some Guats I've had, but really very nice.

Bottom line: those of you who like Guatemalan coffees should definitely give this one a whirl!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote