Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #12
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by prflani
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Quote:
Originally Posted by prflani
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygirl
PG has natural antifungal properties. If you have a reasonably fresh humidifier (under 2 years) that helps a lot keeping things clean. Also, making sure to have air exchange by opening the humi once a week. If you do that you won't have any problems at temps under 75 and RH under 72.

Now beetles, that's another story. That's why most of us want to keep cigs under 70.
PG only keeps mold from growing on/in the humidifier...It won't have any impact on potential mold growth on cigars or the wood surfaces - absolutely zip...
I'm not so sure I agree. PG prevents mold from growing in the humidifier. If mold grows in the humidifier, it can spread to the humidor and cigars. So, while the PG may not be directly protecting the cigars, it is indirectly protecting them. Additionally, by keeping the RH to 70% or less, the PG may actully prevent any mold from forming.
Mold spores are ALWAYS present on cigars and on wood surfaces - they permeate the very air we breathe. Preventing mold growth on/in the humidifier doesn't prevent mold growth on the cigars or the box surfaces. The mold spores will grow if sufficient humidity and food are present, within of course an acceptable temperature range for the actual type of mold involved. If conditions favor growth of mold on the cigars or box surfaces, it will grow. Having PG in the humidifier does not impact the ability of the mold to grow on the cigars.
Agreed.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote