Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
steven24111
Starting Member

Newbie humidor questiom?

I have a question. I am buying a new humidor next week. My first one since I am new to the cigar hobby. My question is should I go for a big one and a travel humidor. Or should I go for a small desktop? Last question would it be alright to store a small collection in a large humidor? I have decided to buy a humidor so which scenario should I go with? Also I introuduced myself in the smoking post if your curious. Thanks in advanced!
steven24111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
tmvbill

I just bought a Gettysburg from Bargain Humidors(bargainhumidors.com) in their seconds area(about $100). It was a great deal and this humi(according to the DigiHygro) stays at 65% all the time. Just make sure when you get the humi, follow the break-in instructions and you will be set. There are also plenty of break-in threads here in this forum you can read up on. Also get a digital hygrometer. Analogs are not too reliable. If you enjoy smoking cigars so far, I would invest the money in a bigger humi from the get-go. You are gonna need it more sooner than later..
Alot of folks swear by the humi-beads for humidity..I still use a the standard humi brick and a gel-jar to maintain humidity..It works..

As far as the amount of cigars vs size of humi, it doesn't matter. Just keep the humidity right(65%) and its all good no matter the size or amount of cigars..

Take care,
Bill
Old 03-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
JustPassingBy
Club Member

can't go wrong with those suggestions! I'd suggest using a normal humidifer (IE foam water and PG) and also using a few shot glass of beads, I've found them to be a great buffer for humidity!
JustPassingBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
HamrWebDesign
Club Member

Definately go big. Coming from a guy that asked myself the same question and ultimately discounted the opinions of others based on budget ... I'm up to 3 humidors and a wine cooler now in less then 2 months. GO BIG!
HamrWebDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
SmoKerch
Herf God

Igloo 70 qt. cooler ...

... to start.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
tonycsmoke
Club Member

I would buy the larger of the two. I originaly bought a 125 ct humidor and lasted only a few months. Then I bought a 300 ct humidor and thougth I would never fill that. They are both full and I've nearly filled up a cooler with smokes. The other advice is sound - order the beads from viper. The beads make it a no brainer - easy to keep the humidity just right. You will eventually want a travel humidor - you can get them cheap off of Cigar Bid. Welcome to the adventure - your gonna have alot of fun.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
skeezix
Starting Member

A herfer can never have enough humidors. However, I freely admit to the Reality of Finite Space. I can attest that my particular Significant Other has a tolerance level of 7 humidors before exploding. (This, despite frequent and liberal applications of Nights Out, Dinners, trips to Victoria's Secret or Belk's). That said, I second the motions of my fellow BOTL: Go big. Because there will quickly come a point in time that you will realize: It just Isn't Enough. Consider a Kitchen Cabinet, Sealed, Siliconed, lined with Cedar. This takes the place of several humidors. (I know. Trust me. I know).
skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
56Tweed

You would be surprised how fast they can fill up. Especially with all the fine enablers, I mean folks here. I would suggest buying at least 2x what you think you need. With that said though... the easiest way to keep the humidity stable is by having your humi at least 75% full.

Mike
56Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
caudio51
Club Member

Well I have filled mine up, thanks to joebobs newbie sampler and me going to the local B&M to pick up singles....not to mention cigarbid.com

Get a bigger one, you can always leave it empty but once it fills up its time to either smoke more or get another humi
caudio51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #10
Embers
Club Member

I started with a 100 count and within the first month, I was completely out of space and needed more room. If I had it to do over, I probably would have opted for either the Gettysburg or the Vicksburg.

Once my Vicksburg fills up, then I will go the cooler route probably. I guess the moral of my story was I should have gone with more space than I thought I needed.
Embers is offline   Reply With Quote