Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

'03 Padron Aniiversary Maduro Imperial!

It's a dirty Job.......

This is a Classic Cigar!

CIGAR: Padron PAM Imperial 6 x 54 Toro
The age on this cigar is stated as 08/03, mmmmmmm.

APPEARENCE: This beauty has a Ebony hued toothy Wrapper. There is a Wonderful glint of Plume, sparkling off this Lovely Nicaraguan Beauty! The expected Dark Chocolate surface abounds.

Terror! The additional ID label has adhered to the wrapper! It's one of those peal off labels, that unfortunately the entire liner was removed, so the adhesive is stuck to the entire circumference of the Wrapper.
I very slowly remove the label. there are a few small areas with adhesive still on the wrapper. But, there are no tears or tears.
Whew!

CONSTRUCTION: This smoke is a Fattie. The soft Box Press is kinda lumpy, but the fill seems adequate. The Cap is not a neat affair, but it seems well attached. There are large veins visible, but that's certainly not unusual on the Padron product.

PRE-LIGHT: After a shallow Guillotine clip, I test the draw. The medium draw is spicy and herbal, A really nice aroma coming off the wrapper, Cedar and Earth tones. Earth tones to me, means the smell of Freshly turned soil, a moist loam aroma.

LOCALE: Our Living room, windows and doors open on a 95+ degree day. Getting ready for the Daytona race, watching some Baseball movies. Major League I & II.
Weather is........................................Hot, but Good!

PAIRING: Pyramid Heffeweizen, Ice Cold! Love those unfiltered Wheat Beers.

THE EXPERIENCE: The table lighter brings volumes of smoke from this Monarch of the Maduro.
Wonderful initial ignition flavors, Cedar and Wrapper fill my mouth with warm tastes.
These are the kind of cigars that I would make if I was in charge. First quality components, all aged tobacco's, skillfully executed in 10 sizes.
Each draw is better than the last.
Snow white ash that drops off about ever inch or so.

The toasty Bread and Cedar spice linger nicely on the Palate.

One inch in and all is well, Veeery Well! The burn is a touch raggedy but nothing serious. This is a good size, wide and Fat. The Beautiful Chocolate Wrapper is a thing of Beauty. A touch of Cocoa sweetness and coffee now enters the mix.

I'm already getting oil at the head so I trim again. Now at full diameter, a much improved draw.

This Icon is smoking Cool and Tasty. The profile has modulated nicely, giving enough variables to maintain the expected experience. At 1.5 inches in I remove both Factory labels with no issues. Man, this cigar has it All. Flavor, Beauty and excellent manners.

As this continues to develop it has a really cool Carob/spice flavor. It's simply incredible the effect of age on these cigars. Many Purist's decry the Domestic Product, but this one is simply Spectacular.

Only two inches in and It's already a Classic, for Me.

Coffee and cedar are the major players right now. The ripple burn has persisted, but never requiring a Lighter adjustment. I again encounter oil at the Head and trim. This smoke has been cool and comfortable the entire time.

Down to the last 2.5 inches, the flavors and aroma are still abundant. The finish on the Palate is of Heady Coffee.

The cigar intensifies at the last inch or so. I burn it down to just under an inch. I reluctantly allow it's demise in the tray, out of respect for it and my fingertips. That, along with the plethora of oil indicates to me that this cigar would continue to improve with even more age. Further making the case for advanced aging in Domestic Cigars.

CONCLUSION: This was a Spectacular Cigar!
I have been fortunate to enjoy quite a few of this line of cigars. in various sizes and age. Each had it's own benefits, but age appears to have a substantial effect on the smoking experience.

An abundance of Flavor and variety in a two hour Smoke. I earlier used the term "Classic" and that held true all the way through.

The Quality came through on Every single Puff!

AMAZING!

One of My Top Five cigars This Year!

Thanks RDKING!

Cheers to QUALITY!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote