Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2016 Cigar Review: Don Toribio Connecticut

Don Toribio
What is this? What’s happening, it’s a Sunday afternoon, about my only time “off” during the week, and we are NOT running all over. The way my life plays out, Sunday afternoons, sadly, the Lord’s Day which I observe by playing two Masses in the morning, become our “go-time.” It’s not the optimum state of affairs, but for whatever reason, circumstances have allowed me an early start, it’s time for a little enjoyment. That means a good cigar, hopefully, and an opportunity to catch up on my IPCPR cigar review assignments.
I have reached into my bag of goodies, collected by Jefslat, and distributed by CW Management, Jason and John. Here’s one I’ve never heard of, before. Although an erstwhile cigar writer, there’s so much happening in this world and in daily life, it’s almost impossible to keep up with all the brands that now grace the market. So it’s not a surprise to me, that there’s something or somethings in my treasure that I’ve not had or heard of. Say good afternoon to a Don Toribio Connecticut. A quick look at their website informs me that this Connecticut shade-wrapped cigar is a toro at 6 inches by 50 ring gauge.

I also glean that these are designed to be affordable cigars for the everyday cigar smoker. That’s something that CWers are always looking to find. The wrapper leaf, capa, appears to be a bit stretched and wrinkled in spots. It has a nice aroma to it, very straightforward pre-light tobacco nose. I don’t detect much else yet. I didn’t detect much more than that after I clipped it, thankfully, being full daylight, I was able to clip it cleanly with the guillotine cutter, without damaging the head of the cigar. I burned my fingers a bit when lighting, but I got the job done in one match. It begins with a whiff of leather to the smoke’s flavor, but it’s also a bit rough. There’s a finish or remainder that’s the slightest bit peppery on my lips and tongue. This is not the first time and will not be the last. Cigar smokers I count as friends like this sort of thing.

Having a Connecticut shade wrapper, it’s not overly strong at the outset. This one puts out a satisfactory amount of smoke, and it’s burning pretty straight, so far. USA Sales, Inc., the parent company’s ad copy reads that there is ligero leaf at the core of the filler-blend. I get a little of that, but it’s Dominican ligero and the wrapper is Dominican, too. At least that’s what the website says, maybe it’s the other blend, not the Connecticut, it is difficult to discern. About a fifth of the way in, the ash has already fallen, no major concern, the flavor is still on-point. Maybe it’s better that this is a milder blend, because in the words of Tom Sawyer, “it’s powerful warm” out here this afternoon.
USA Sales, Inc. also makes two other brands, namely Pancho Villa, and, Hidden Treasure. The Don Toribio comes in six sizes with three wrappers, Sumatra, Connecticut and Maduro; and, they are packed in both boxes of 50, and bundles of 25. According to their gallery, these are sold in all manner of retail outlets in California and Texas, only.
This cigar is a rightly smoky fellow, even sitting in the ashtray, I see a good wisp of smoke coming from the foot, even in this light, that’s a quality I very much admire in the cigars I enjoy. I’ve ignored it for a few minutes, now, and it’s still going, at about 40% in, it’s still got good, solid flavor, and burn.

DonToribio.2
The cigar is past halfway, now, and it’s smoking MORE in the ashtray. The flavor is still a rough, but smoothing, leather with a tinge of sweet char on the finish. It does have a creaminess to its character, as well, according to their website, that’s what the Hidden Treasure blend is designed for, while this one is intended to be their “classic” cigar. But this one has some of that character to it, as well. I’m down to the end, almost, and I am impressed that it hasn’t gone out.
I’ve done a cursory web search, and the only price I can find on these, although it should not matter to the review itself, is $44.99 for a bundle of 25. That’s a price that’s enticing. This is not, nor ever will be, the best cigar I have ever smoked. But for that price, it’s acceptable, no? It has never, not once, been harsh. Despite the humidity out here, it is still lit and smoking despite the fact that I’m writing and also surfing the web.
Don Toribio Connecticut toro would get a solid three stars for me simply for those qualities: staying lit, and not getting harsh. Worth a punt at that price if you live in California and can find them in a shop. It’s satisfactory enough that Reese, the intentionally incontinent dachshund started barking at me from inside to come out with me.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote