Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Rick
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofori View Post
IPCPR Gurkha Cellar Reserve Platinum 12 year

Hedonism 6" x 58

Country Manufactured: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuador
Color: Oscuro
Strength: Medium-Full
Shape: Figurado

Pre light: The Oscuro wrapper was a wonderful dark warm brown, oily with a couple of veins, the band is two inches deep or so.
The nose was tobacco, cedar and oak. The cap is a pigtail and the foot pinches down to a nub a Figurado! My first pigtail and Figurado foot, the construction was even, with a little give between the fingers, the size was even from head to foot.

Light: I was a little surprised by how much smoke is produced by toasting the foot, and then lighting it. There was a strong flavor of oak, a full flush of it, with cedar notes, the mouth was smooth as silk.

1/3rd the oak was the dominate flavor right through the first third, with under tones of cedar and leather, with some hay or barnyard touches, I couldn't pin down the last flavor, then I understood the hay or barnyard was a touch of ammonia, not constant, but every now and then.

I would pair this with a single malt Scotch or a quality Bourbon, or with a full bodied red wine, a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Petite Sirah, where the oak flavors would compliment each other.

The Ash held for about 1 1/2" and would have lasted longer, (had I paid more attention), but I was answering a phone call and knocked the cigar against the phone and it dropped.

2/3rd the oak eased a little, the ammonia disappeared completely, there was diminished leather, the tobacco flavor was smooth and silky, the mouth held together a long time.

About half way down the second third, the cigar went out on me, on relighting I got a bitter flavor, and purged it a couple of times, it came back to a smooth silky smoke again.

The burn on the whole cigar was within a 1/16" at all times.

Trying to peel the band was tougher than I would have thought, I allowed it to heat with the burn, but it was difficult to peel cleanly.

Into the 3/3rd the oak came back again, the strength and nicotine sat a little heavily on my stomach, I would have been better off smoking it after a good lunch or diner, thinking about the liquors that I would have paired it with, after diner would be the better choice!

My nicotine load was high enough for me to let it go out with a full 2+" of cigar left.

Prelight = 9
Light = 9
Construction = 8
Flavor = 7
Power = 9
Average of 8.4

My first noticeably aged cigar, I do find I'm liking Gurkha's for the most part, they cover a large swath of flavors and strengths.

With a meal inside me, I would have undoubtedly finished this to a nub.
Good review. 👍😎

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote