Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
b0rderman
Club Member

Installing Tuners

Hey just got a vintage guild acoustic, well have had it for about a year now...an old D35 for those who care

annnnywaaayys...the dam Grover tuners on it slip quite a bit/aren't tight/suck and was wondering how hard it is to replace them myself or what would be a good price on the labor for something like that
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
mannish
Herf God

You can replace them yourself. I wouldn't think labor would be much 25 bucks or so but I am outta touch with stuff like that.

Make sure whatever you get fits the holes in the peghead for the tuner 'shafts'. They are usually pretty standard but you never know. I have been pleased with Grovers & Schallers

What are you going to replace them with - You can get new Grovers that should line up with orginal screw holes. If not mark the screw hole - drill a small SHALLOW hole to get it started.

www.Stewmac.com has plenty to chose from & instructions for many things
possbily changing tuners

Guild made excellent guitars back then as you already know.
I had one of those also. They may still make fine guitars I just know the older ones were as good as any.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
b0rderman
Club Member

they this old girl sounds amazing...really fills a room

Thanks for the site...ran across it on google a month ago and loved it, and found the grovers I like...if I ever get around to it soon enough ill be sure to post how it went
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #4
Mysterblues
Club Member

Should be easy bro
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
g8trbone

Tuners are a pretty easy task. Mannish is right on with all of his suggestions. There are a couple points I would make if you want to retain value.

1. Make sure you measure the original hole the tuners are in. Try to find tuner that have the same diameter.

2. Try not to make any unnecessary holes or marks on the peg head. It is usually the hardest part of the instrument to replace if it gets severly damaged.

3. SAVE THE ORIGINAL TUNERS.

Having been "in the business" for a while I can't tell you how many people have come to me looking to sell an older instrument wanting top dollar after they have made "mods". Keep all of the original parts and try not to make any new holes or marks. Most Grover tuners (even the old ones) can usually be tweaked. A good repairman will normally be able to see if it is a problem with the tuners or something else that is causing it to slip (too many winds of the strings, etc). Don't take it to just anybody... find the person that the "pros" take their gear to fix it. There are a lot of hacks out there that do a lot more damage than good.

GO GATORS!!!
g8trbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
therealmingus

And be verrrry careful not to strip out the screw holes, otherwise you're filling and drilling again.
therealmingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
mannish
Herf God

I find it surprising that Grovers (or any good tuners) slip.

I however I am not a collector although I do have collectable guitars. So whatever makes them play better I am willing to do within reason.

Funny I went with a friend to trade in a 50s Gibson 175 for a high dollar mandolin at Gruhns in Nashville. They said the tuners have been changed called it a 'players guitar'. He found a high dollar mando that had some similar modifications. If they are buying it is a player's piece if they are selling it's a collectable piece.

We laughed at 'em saying oh so mine is player but the one your selling is collectable....See you later

A broke/cracked headstock is a tough thing to repair.
I played the National Slide guitar fest in NC with a link off a bicycle chain holding the headstock together on my National It has since been repaired with graphite and never had another problem.

Defintely take it to a pro. I only take my guitars to one person, the best in town. I will not even consider taking one to anyone else. I learned that the hard way.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Mysterblues
Club Member

I had a problem with some Grover tuner slippage. Believe it or not , I gave it a basic setup adjustment, teaked the neck, adjusted string height and intonation and all that, no more problem. Not sure why. I thought it was a need for new tuners but seems it just needed a little tlc....................
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #9
b0rderman
Club Member

hmmm...odd mabey there's hope for these tuners, mabey i can even get some suggestions on fixing the tuner problem i have...

its not that they don't hold but they are just super sloppy. It takes one sometimes two full twists of the tuner to get it to "bite" and start turning the peg...whats up with that? I just assumed not to go cranking down on any of the screws and that mabey the threading is shot on the guys...they all do this too, wierd...mabey not...in any case its a pain and rarely ever have any patients to screw around with alt tunings.