Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Smoker06
Herf God

Thumbs up Tatuaje Havana IV Angeles

Tatuaje Havana IV Angeles

Best dang cigar I've smoked in a long time. Had my first one tonight, a dark brown, almost oscuro, petite corona (4.5 x 42). Unbelievably rich, earthy tobacco. Medium finish without harshness. Had I not known otherwise, I would have sworn it was Cuban.

I've have another three left. If they're as good as the first, I see many boxes of these in my future.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
jimstep

I agree. This is the best in the Havana VI line. It is better than the brown band Tatuaje's IMHO. I have a handful of the Nobles and I smoke them sparingly.
jimstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Thanks for the review, Frank. I've tried several of the Havana VI series, and to my tastes they've always fallen far short of the Miami (brown band) line in the flavor and complexity departments. May have to revisit these.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Smoker06
Herf God

It might be the size, Doug. I don't think I've ever had a Tatuaje red banded cigar that was "great".

I've very seldom rave about a cigar. I usually rate "good, above average, okay or bad". But this was actually a great cigar.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
jgbutler
Herf Meister

This is one of the Havana VI line that I have not tried yet but I did get a fiver from a fellow CW brother about a week ago. I now know what one of the cigars that will make my Saturday lineup for today will be. Thanks for the review Frank. I have been wondering about these for sometime now but just hadn't decided to pull the trigger on a box or fiver until a good deal was posted here.

I will revisit with my thoughts on these a little later today!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Sounds like a very fine small-format cigar.
Thank you for the write-up.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Coach
Herf Meister

Pete tag-teamed this line as East Coast vs est Coast. I've sample both but found the East had more flavor, the West I found to be much more milder. Great smokes though.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Frank I will have to agree with you on all counts about these!

I finished the first one of these I've ever smoked about an hour ago. It did have a very dark brown wrapper that had a few small veins and was slightly toothy looking. Very well constructed with a perfect draw and almost perfect burn. I did touch it up once when it would have probably corrected itself if I would have just continued on and left it alone.

It was a very smooth and rich tasting cigar that produced volumes of thick smoke that left what I would almost call a velvety feel in the mouth. I would definitely call this a medium smoke. It was not what I would consider a very complex cigar but it did have some slight changes that would range from an earthy slightly woody flavor into a faint dark chocolate slightly sweet and creamy type of flavor. There were even some slight spicy aspects to it every once in awhile. It showed absolutely no harshness and was smooth to the nub without the need to purge it even one time. It left a very pleasant aftertaste that lasted a good 20-30 minutes after I had laid it down.

I see what you mean when you say that if the cigar origin would have been unknown, you could have thought you were smoking a Cuban. I'm definitely impressed!!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Smoker06
Herf God

It's good to know I'm not alone on this one, Jimbo. Thanks for the confirmation review.

Randy, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by east vs. west coast. Can you explain in more detail?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I think he's talking about the Havana VI Verocu editions that Pete released 2 years ago. There was an East Coast ("Zone del Este") and a West Coast ("Lado Occidental") version. I like the West Coast version better myself, at least in part because, at 6.25x52, it just feels a lot better to me than the 5.5x54 East Coast version. Better draw, too.

I asked Pete about those when I met him at the RTDA here in Houston a couple of years ago. "Why a 'regional release,' Pete?" He just smiled and said "Well, really, it's a joke." His way of poking fun at the EL/RE/"Special Humidor" marketing hype that Habanos SA has been doing with Cuban cigars for a while. In all honesty, I had thought it was a pretty boneheaded idea...until I talked to the man and saw the twinkle in his eye. Gotta respect the man's passion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote