Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
CigarBoy

Humidor has two different humidity levels

I just bought a new Gettysburg humidor, pictures of which are in my gallery linked below.

The hygrometer reading on the top shelf is right at 65%, but I smoked a cigar from the bottom of the humidor and it seemed "wet" with burn problems and a soft feel.

Instead of putting the hygrometer on the top shelf, I put it in the bottom and got a reading of 72 to 73%.

My question is how do I get the same humidity level on the top shelf as the bottom? If I take out a humidifier, the top shelf will be too dry, and if I leave it in, the bottom is too wet.

I seasoned it for a couple of days before loading the cigars, but do I just need to give the humidor a few more days to settle?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
56Tweed

I understand that humidity can vary if there isn't air flow. I've seen many of the guys with nicer humis put the humidifiers in different places to help keep it all stable. For example if you use beads, but some near the top and some near the bottom.

It might also help if you put in some kind of fan. Air flow would help match up.

Mike
56Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
Harleyrider
Club Member

It might also help just to move the cigars around every once in a while, so that the ones from the bottom end up on the top, etc.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
wasch_24
Club Member

I have a very similar humidor, the Vicksburg, and I have beads in the top shelf/tray and also in the main compartment. I wouldn't put any in the shelf that has another on top of it, not enough air space there IMO.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
prflani
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasch_24
I have a very similar humidor, the Vicksburg, and I have beads in the top shelf/tray and also in the main compartment. I wouldn't put any in the shelf that has another on top of it, not enough air space there IMO.
The amount of space shouldn't matter at all with the media.

I certainly recommend using some of the media in both the top and bottom of the cabinet. Rotate the media top to bottom occasionally...
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #6
RoomDog
Herf Meister

I use home-made humidifiers that are tubos punched with holes and filled with beads. Space them out throughout the humi.

As for your particular situation, did you just put a fresh batch or box of cigars in there? They usually ship a little wet, and can cause areas of higher humidity as they lose their excess humidity.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Embers
Club Member

In my Vicksburg, I put about a 1/2 a pound of beads in the bottom compartment. I found though that I needed to place a small amount beads on the top shelf as well to keep it balanced out.
Embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Krakatoa

A variance of 7-8% RH in a box that small is unacceptable and not normal. While RH always tends to be slightly higher at the bottom, you may have either a bad seal on the lid, or too many cigars on the top tray stopping any air circulation.
Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:59 AM   #9
sunivy
Club Member

I usually see a reading slightly higher in my cabinet at the top than at the bottom (about a 3-4 point difference)
sunivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 AM   #10
jfestrelabr
Starting Member

In my opinion is totaly OK for the RH.