Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Ike

Question about "wet" cigars

Would a "wet" or over humidified cigar have a chemical or metallic taste to it?

When I buy cigars from my local shop they all have this taste but mild.

I bought a few cigars and put them in my empty humidor and I put some pg mix in the lid mounted device b/c I had not added any in a long time. The cigars have been in there for a week. I had one today and it had that chemical/metal taste but very strong.

EDIT: I just took one out and it has split. I always thought they would split from being too dry; like a dry leaf will. Am I wrong and they are swelling from too much moisture?

I do not have a humidity meter yet. I need to get one and get everything sorted out before I order some of those evil cigars from overseas.

Thanks for any info.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
prflani
Herf Meister

Re: Question about "wet" cigars

Would a "wet" or over humidified cigar have a chemical or metallic taste to it? Could be...Taste can definitely by affected...

When I buy cigars from my local shop they all have this taste but mild.

I bought a few cigars and put them in my empty humidor and I put some pg mix in the lid mounted device b/c I had not added any in a long time. The cigars have been in there for a week. I had one today and it had that chemical/metal taste but very strong. Could you have gotten some of the PG solution on the cigars?

EDIT: I just took one out and it has split. I always thought they would split from being too dry; like a dry leaf will. Am I wrong and they are swelling from too much moisture? High moisture conditions can certainly result in splitting.

I do not have a humidity meter yet. I need to get one and get everything sorted out before I order some of those evil cigars from overseas. Get a hygrometer and check its calibration (salt test) before trusting its readings...
Thanks for any info.
[/quote]
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Ike

The cigars are in cello so I doubt any got on them. I took the humidifier out and am letting them sit for a few days and I'll see how they are then. They are not anything special so I don't mind experimenting a little with them.

I will pick up a meter asap.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #4
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Give them a little squeeze and see how they feel. Properly humidified they should give a little but quickly return to normal shape. Too wet they will squeeze together quite a bit (~50% or more) and not go back to shape for a little while longer.
windsorlacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
56Tweed

I think my local B&M keeps theirs a bit high. I don't have a reading but I would guess its a bit over 70%. I guess they error on the side of caution. Plus it probably helps those that do not have humidors. I normally try to give them a few weeks to settle if I bring some home.

Mike
56Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorlacorona
Give them a little squeeze and see how they feel. Properly humidified they should give a little but quickly return to normal shape. Too wet they will squeeze together quite a bit (~50% or more) and not go back to shape for a little while longer.
These are actually really hard. They will give a little but not much.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
JoeyBogus
Club Member

I can attest that smoking a "wet" cigar will impart any one or more of the following symptoms:

1. metallic or grassy tastes
2. uneven burn
3. coning
4. foul-smelling burning aroma
5. tight draw

I used to obsess over humidity but once I became accustomed to the squeeze method I haven't looked back. Hold up a stogie up to your ear and give it a VERY GENTLE squeeze and then listen for a subtle "crunchy" sound. This, along with the feel will tell you if it's ready to smoke. If it doesn't give those sensations then leave it and select another one.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
Ike

I had another this evening. I had it in the humidor without the humidifying device since yesterday evening.

The bad taste was much milder and the cigar burned better. Sadly these cigars have not had much other flavor to them and were really bland. I had two more in the humidor but I gave them to a friend and told him to leave them out for a day or two and then try them.

He lives in the same area as I do. During the summer months we have close to 100% humidity outside. He told me that most of the year he doesn't add fluid to his humidor and it stays around 65%. I may try this with a meter and see where the humidity level is. I am assuming that when it is filled the humidity will drop b/c of the cigars soaking up the moisture; am I right in my thinking?

Thanks again for all of the help
Old 03-03-2005, 03:26 AM   #9
fitzonelove
Club Member

That depends; if the cigars were properly stored prior to your putting them in the humi, they actually help stabilize it; simple solution, if you feel they are too wet, let them dry out a bit, and I would get a hygrometer so you have a reference point to where you prefer the RH.
But don't obsess over it for years like I did; just enjoy
fitzonelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 AM   #10
SmoKerch
Herf God

Go to Radio Shack or Walmart and get a digital hygrometer.

They work very well for few $$. Try to get the RH% level around 62-65%

Your cigars will thank you.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote