Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
Harleyrider
Club Member

Zippo Fumes?

The thread about the Ronson Jet-Lites triggered some recommendations to use Zippos. That got me thinking. I have generally avoided using a fluid based lighter on cigars because of all of the comments about the fuel's smell affecting the cigar. I have also heard that they are fine if you light the flame burn a couple of seconds before lighting the cigar.

My only first-hand experience is that I tried it once and couldn't detect any foul flavor.

I'd love to hear what those who have actually used a fluid based lighter have experienced. If you haven't actually tried it yourself, don't bother to post --- we've all heard it already.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

As you saw in the other thread all I use is a Zippo. I got tired of buying cheapo torches that last all of five minutes, and are expensive as all hell to refill with super duper quntuple refined on a Cuban-virgin's thighs fuel.

Spare me. Get a Zippo and some fuel. Fire forever. IF by some chance you happen to taste a little fuel ( I haven't in YEARS) it burns itself off in no time. Its all in your head. Save money on lighters and smoke better cigars. Or do like me and smoke MORE cigars.

And besides all that...they're F'in COOL. The same design that your Grandfather used is still here, and it still works as well now as it did then. There's a reason why they sell them. Because they WORK.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
cubano67
Herf Meister

The new Zippo fuel (Zippo brand fuel) has absolutely NO scent. Really good stuff. It's got me using my Zippos again. Ronson fuel has a nasty stink, though.

www.cumberlandcigar.com
-----------------------------------
Support Your Local Tobacconist
cubano67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Wankel
Herf God

I never taste the fuel from my Zippo even if I can smell it. YMMV. BTW, I use naptha from Lowe's.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

the comments about the fuel's smell affecting the cigar

That's wife's tail! I've used a Zippo or wooden matches for decades and never had any taste or smell of the fuel or sulphur.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
hermit
Club Member

Strictly butane for me.
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Wankel
Herf God

I would never use anytjhing but my Zippo were it not for the effects of evaporation. To me, thats the number one hassle.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel
I would never use anytjhing but my Zippo were it not for the effects of evaporation. To me, thats the number one hassle.
True, but that has no affect on the cigar. Plus, there is always more refills that you can buy.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Wankel
Herf God

Yep. I love Zippos. And its something about those new butane Zippos that...well.....they just don't sit right with me. Not that they're not good in their own right, but they're kind of like the redesigned VW.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
1RedDawg
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel
Yep. I love Zippos. And its something about those new butane Zippos that...well.....they just don't sit right with me. Not that they're not good in their own right, but they're kind of like the redesigned VW.

I have one of the Zippo Inserts & I like It . fits right Into my lightercase & performs wonderfull I like the butane because of the torch effect. Nostalgia & Performance.