Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

2004 Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Corona Grande

Another thanks to @Ljutic

A Honduran, 6 1/8 x46 Corona Grande, with a brown, Colorado maduro, Honduran Criollo wrapper of fine, smooth, oily texture, and Honduran, Mexican and Costa Rican filler and Costa Rican binder.

Nice, even burn, flat coal, mottled grey, typical ash and a perfect draw.
In the second third, 2 cracks in the wrapper near the foot appeared, and just before the end of the second third, began to peel.

Excellent smoke volume and nice, fragrant aroma.

Of ample richness, smooth, mellow, mild-medium strength, generous body and perfectly balanced taste of herbal, grassy and floral flavors.

No sweetness, burn on tongue, sharpness or saltiness, and a very light bitterness on the finish.

Overall a good smoke, with a final score of 89 out of 100, which happens to be Cigar Aficionado’s score for 2003 and 2004 interestingly enough.

The majority of the lost points were due to the wrapper cracking and peeling, and the slight bitterness on the aftertaste, otherwise it scored extremely well.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:55 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I don't remember all the attributes of this cigar from back then. I do remember that the overall sentiment here at CW was that the original line, the Gold, was the preferred cigar of the two lines. These were well-regarded, however as is a very CW thing, most here talked about liking the Gold better.

Strange how that works. Good cigar, nice review, Sean, thank you.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:17 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
I don't remember all the attributes of this cigar from back then. I do remember that the overall sentiment here at CW was that the original line, the Gold, was the preferred cigar of the two lines. These were well-regarded, however as is a very CW thing, most here talked about liking the Gold better.

Strange how that works. Good cigar, nice review, Sean, thank you.
Thanks for the info and appreciate the thanks and compliment.

Did some more changes to the review form I use to include more information.

I just smoked one of the current production Gold's this morning and it was a very good smoke, just like the previous 2.

The Silver would have been around the highest score I've given anything if it weren't for the wrapper issue and light bitterness. Any bitterness in a Cigar really turns me off a lot.

I friggin love cigars
Old 06-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Click at the bottom of the page to see review threads from that era.
I wouldn't mind revisiting one of these.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #5
Ljutic

I don't remember Gold. Maybe before my local started suggesting Torano products for me.

My humidor list has the two Exodus variants.

1959 Exodus with black and gold bands (this may be the gold you refer to)
1959 Exodus Silver bands

I also have some 1916 Cameroon wrapped cigars with green bands, but I do not think these were part of the Exodus line.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:29 AM   #6
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
I don't remember Gold. Maybe before my local started suggesting Torano products for me.

My humidor list has the two Exodus variants.

1959 Exodus with black and gold bands (this may be the gold you refer to)
1959 Exodus Silver bands

I also have some 1916 Cameroon wrapped cigars with green bands, but I do not think these were part of the Exodus line.
The current production Gold has black and gold bands and omits the word gold anywhere, just Exodus 1959, so I would think it likely the much older ones with a black and gold band you have probably are the Gold variant he refers to.

Last edited by smbauerllc; 07-06-2022 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:42 AM   #7
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Click at the bottom of the page to see review threads from that era.

I wouldn't mind revisiting one of these.
They are actually still in production a little surprisingly, considering they have recently discontinued 2 of my favorites, the Signature Collection and Vault Blend A-008 (which has already become almost impossible to find anywhere else leftover stock has begun running out. Glad i stocked up a bit when I was told the 2 were discontinued)

The current production Golds are excellent smokes. Very tasty and very smooth taste and smoke. Will definitely go along with the other Torano's in current production as staples in my collection. Wouldn't hesitate to reccomended them at all.

Hadnt occurred to me until your post, that I need to pick up a fiver of the silver to see if they make the cut, and also to compare with the aged one in the review

Last edited by smbauerllc; 07-06-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
The current production Gold has black and gold bands and omits the word gold anywhere, just Exodus 1959, so I would think it likely the much older ones with a black and gold band you have probably are the Gold variant he refers to.

The current production of Toranos are now in the General Cigar group, so a few things have changed.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslat View Post
The current production of Toranos are now in the General Cigar group, so a few things have changed.
Gotcha.
I'm not well versed on which big conglomerate different makers are part of

Old 07-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

At some point I'll try to compile a list ow who owns/distributes who. I think it's valuable information.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote