Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
DSturg369
Club Member

Underrated

Lots of talk about the sleeper Cubans but what about the NC's?

What lesser known or not well received smokes do YOU enjoy?

Also, what now extinct brands do you miss or have just a few remaining of that you keep for "special times"?

Me..... I like the Casa Blanca line every now and again.. Nice, smooth, consistant taste, and a great bargan. Also like the Astral line. Have about a 1/4 box of each.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

For me it is the discontinued Romeo y Juliette Columbo (8x50). I have a few left in a box of ten that has the yellowest, fragile cello you will ever see.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Re: Underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSturg369
Also, what now extinct brands do you miss or have just a few remaining of that you keep for "special times"?
The old blue band Belindas. I have 1/2 a box left, 10 years old and they are awesome.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
low budget smoker

Re: Underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSturg369
The old blue band Belindas. I have 1/2 a box left, 10 years old and they are awesome.
I smoked a few boxes of those blue bands when Mikes blew them out 4-5 years ago. I started buying them in singles from a B & M in the mid 90's and they are the main reason I turned to premiums (from Wolf Bros. and Avanti's). Still have an empty box I use in one of my coolers....those were tastey smokes!

As for current bargains, I would probably rate Punch Gran Puro as my #1. You can get a box for $60-70 and they are very good and very consistent from box to box, imho. Medium-full with nice pepper/cedar/earthy flavor........ymmv
low budget smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
CSMAnderson
Herf God

I have found the Torano Dominico and The Brick to be great sleeper cigars. Not overly priced and great taste and quality.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

The old, discontinued blend of La Rosa Especial with a maduro wrapper.

That is one of the best tatsting, flavorful cigars that I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. And they discontinue that blend.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I bought a couple bundles of long filler Nicaraguan puros at JR probably ten years ago, and they were meticulously made, and tasted great. I still have them, and they are a special occasion cigar.

$20 bundle of 25. best bargain I ever got.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Then there is always the "Poor Man's Padron", the Mantequilla. The "poor Man's Padron" is in jest. But the maduro Mantequilla is a damn good cigar! The 5x54, slightly pressed, X size is a dynomite cigar. You can get a box of 20 maduro torpedos for $34 bucks. HELL! Very few torpedos come anywhere close to that price.

I looked at JRs recently and noticed that every size of Mantequilla is OUT OF STOCK. It makes me wonder if they are no longer being manufactured.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
TheSaint
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfin Bigdog

That is one of the best tatsting, flavorful cigars that I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. And they discontinue that blend.

Damn, those were tasty.....The new blend ain't even close.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfin Bigdog

I bought a bunch of boxes when Holts was blowing them out. Down to my last box and they are very good. I believe I paid $30 a box for the robusto size, which was a steal.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote