Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
InfrnalSky
Club Member

Another "What if the embargo ended question?" Ques

If the embargo ended and we were allowed to do business in Cuba and such, do you think the big name companies (Arturo Fuente, Camacho, Padron, etc.) would make a move to Cuba and start making Cuban cigars?

How about if they started using both Cuban and non-Cuban together? I think I could enjoy an Opus X with Cuban filler. How about an Arturo Fuente Cuban Anejo "Shark"? Maybe even a PAM or PAN wrapped around Cuban Filler

mmm.... I keep thinking of the possibilities......

Eddie
InfrnalSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
solomr2
Herf Meister

This depends on so many different things. If the embargo ended, is it because Castro died? Or because the USA decides its not working (after 45 years) so might as well? Whatever it is, there will be confusion and instability at first.

Eventually, the old cigar families will probably start a legal battle to take back their farms, and their family brand names. Lots of weird things are likely to happen.

Some will probably establish new operations in Cuba, some will probably import Cuba tobacco. The combinations you speak of are possible, but unlikely - most of the established families will likely start a new line and leave those well established lines alone, at least until things stabilize and they can get consistency and quality to a level they are comfortable with.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Eagle
Club Member

I can just see the lawyers licking there chops now
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
cvm4
Club Member

I think there will be an infusion of conterfeits if the embargo ended. I say keep the embargo. Atleast that way we know we're getting the real deal without the taxes.
cvm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
DocRKS
Herf Meister

Re: Another "What if the embargo ended question?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfrnalSky
How about if they started using both Cuban and non-Cuban together? I think I could enjoy an Opus X with Cuban filler.

Eddie
I realize that we are playing hypotheticals here --- but the "point" of the Opus X was a statement by Carlito that he COULD grow a 100% DR cigar - including the wrapper !!!!! in spite of all of the experts who told him it was impossible!

As for your main point -- I'm sure that attorneys on both sides of this question have been contemplating and setting out their course of action for years now !!! Once Habana product becomes legal here - the only thing for certain is that the price will go UP to reflect all of the taxes that will be put on the cigars.

America - Home of the Free - Because of the Brave

All Gave Some --- Some Gave All .........

DTM - XVII
DocRKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
InfrnalSky
Club Member

I'm pretty sure you guys are right about all the legal stuff. I was just thinking about, after all the legal stuff and the taking back of the family plantations and such were worked out, what kinds of new creations would come about. Everything is great as it is now, but who knows what the future of cigars may hold once the embargo (or if I should say) is lifted. I think it may get really ugly for the first few decades and such, but once it's all taken care of, I think the future of the cigar will get very interesting (and tastey) indeed! Just my .02 cents.

Eddie
InfrnalSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #7
ZachS
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRKS
As for your main point -- I'm sure that attorneys on both sides of this question have been contemplating and setting out their course of action for years now !!! Once Habana product becomes legal here - the only thing for certain is that the price will go UP to reflect all of the taxes that will be put on the cigars.
And I can buy luxury cigarettes for $20/carton including shipping from Switzerland. I have no doubt that us CW'ers will always manage to get what we need without going bankrupt.

As for bandwagon-jumpers and everybody else, who cares?

Zach
ZachS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
sb1396
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfrnalSky
How about if they started using both Cuban and non-Cuban together? I think I could enjoy an Opus X with Cuban filler.

Eddie
I realize that we are playing hypotheticals here --- but the "point" of the Opus X was a statement by Carlito that he COULD grow a 100% DR cigar - including the wrapper !!!!! in spite of all of the experts who told him it was impossible!

I'm most concerned about a hit to quality if the embargo is lifted. For the first couple years the demand will probably just explode. If they increase production to try to meet demand there could be a hit to quality. Anyhow, just my main concern.
sb1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:35 PM   #9
sharil

it would be great if they mix some of the cuban tobacco in. Would love to try that.

But on their own they already make great cigars.

An interesting questions anyway
sharil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
heiko
Starting Member

The embargo could end with or without fidel & cuba could still be a communist country. Even if it were to become a democracy they still wouldn't have to let anyone from the outside make cigars in cuba or use cuban tobacco to make cigars outside cuba. the only ones punished by the embargo are the cuban people & for their sake i'd like to see it lifted. the demand would skyrocket & since castro & the cuban gov't are such great capitalists they would be quick to raise the prices as high as needed to control supply & demand. the duty & local taxes already in place on tobacco in the USA would rise as the lawmakers love sin taxes. the counterfeiters would flourish as their profit margins would expand & the new unknowing market would buy thinking they were getting a bargain. of course all this is hypothetical & IMHO. as my mom used to say "you've got to enjoy it while you can"
heiko is offline   Reply With Quote