Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

R I P Dandy Don Meridith

I'm not really a Cowboys fan, but I am a Football Fan. My very first Football memories were of Don Meridith and the Cowboys. Don truly set the stage for Roger Staubach and brought the then expansion team into contention quickly, going to two Championship Games. Sadly, He never guided Them to Victory. He retired in 1969 after 9 years in the NFL. He played His College Ball at SMU and was the First Selected Player for the Dallas Cowboys.
Then, starting in 1970, He joined the fledgeling Monday Night Football Team as a Broadcaster. MNF became a TV mainstay with zero competition for decades. Twice He worked MNF and We saw some truly Classic Football with His voice as the soundtrack. Cosell was tough to warm up to, but "Dandy Don" was a good Ol'Boy dun good.

The game clock finally ran out in the Fourth Quarter for Don Meridith Sunday Morning, He was 72 years old.

Rest easy Old Friend.

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote