Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
hrhaven
Starting Member

Is there something wrong with my Cigar Oasis?

I've been unhappy for a while that the humidity in my humidor has been very low. Here are the details. I live in Connecticut, my humidor is kept in a partially finished bottom floor, it's obviously winter. The humidor is an inexpensive 400ct box, spanish cedar interior. (I've now seasoned it twice).

I recently purchased a Cigar Oasis XL. It's been up and running about 3 days (I am using the AC Adapter). I've kept the top of the humidor closed. I've set the Humidity to 71. When I check the display on the Cigar Oasis it says 71.7 (which is only .7 from where I want it....good enough). However I still have my Digital Hygrometer in it, and the Hygro says it's 64%. I've tried positioning it in other spots in the humidor, same results. So I tried to test the hygrometer with the salt test.

I took a 20oz pepsi lid, cleaned it and dried it. Put 1tsp of salt in it. Wet a paper towel and then squeezed 5 or 6 drops of water into it. Put the Hygro and the cap in a tupperware container with a tight lid and waited 6 hours. I checked the Hygro by looking through the container (not opening it), it reads 73.5. which is pretty close to the 75% I was looking for.

Does this mean my cigar Oasis is not working properly? When I open the top of the humidor, normally the fan is not running and the humidity reading on the CO is right around 71.

This is becoming frustrating. Why does my Digital Hygro always say mid to low 60's.

I don't know what type of Digital Hygro it is. It's very Thin, Black, has a small plastic piece that folds out on one side so it can stand up. It has two Buttons a min/max and a clear or reset. The Display screen shows the temp and then humidity.

Any Suggestions?
hrhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Peterg

are you using the battery pack or the ac adapter? I found that the CO is FAR more effective when on A/C than on the battery pack. Also, I would try another digital hygro in there just to compare the two maybe. either way, 64% is well within acceptable limits especially during the winter months. Alot of guys (including myself) prefer to store their stuff at the 65% range.

Either way, don't stress the numbers so much, this is supposed to be fun.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
hrhaven
Starting Member

Well, I wouldn't mind it staying at 65% if that's what I set it for. However the humistat is too expensive a unit to not have it work properly. I am using the AC adapter.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I recall hearing that the initial CO XLs had some problems and the readings were off. Maybe your unit is off. I'd try another digital hyrometer. If the CO is off, and is still under warranty, I'd return it.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
hrhaven
Starting Member

Are most digital Hygro's created equal? The only other one I can find is the same model as the one I already have. I figure it's probably not a great decision to buy another of the same model to test for accuracy.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhaven
Are most digital Hygro's created equal? The only other one I can find is the same model as the one I already have. I figure it's probably not a great decision to buy another of the same model to test for accuracy.
After re-reading your post and after giving this some more thought, I think you should get yourself a Boveda calibration kit and double check your digital hygrometer. If that proves accurate, then I'd return the CO XL, as it would appear that the CO is the problem.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
hrhaven
Starting Member

Thanks Rob, I think that's not a bad idea. I decided to purchase a new Digital Hygro from the heartfelt website which includes the calibration kit that you mentioned. I think that will be a good option. Also, not only is the hygrometer digital, it's also adjustable, so I can calibrate it if need be.

I'll go that route, and then if the issue persists, I'll return the CO. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhaven
Thanks Rob, I think that's not a bad idea. I decided to purchase a new Digital Hygro from the heartfelt website which includes the calibration kit that you mentioned. I think that will be a good option. Also, not only is the hygrometer digital, it's also adjustable, so I can calibrate it if need be.

I'll go that route, and then if the issue persists, I'll return the CO. Thanks.
No problem. Let us know what happens.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
jpags

I don't think the problem is with your Digital Hygro. I think it's the Cigar Oasis that's off. I had 2 different Cigar Oasis (XL & XL Plus) and 3 different types of Digital Hygrometors. Whenever The Hygro's read 70% on the Cigar Oasis, it reads around 64% on all of the 3 different brands of Digital Hygrometors that I have. My calabrated anolog Hygrometor that's built into my humidor also reads the same as my 3 Digital Hygrometors. So to make a long story short, that's 4 different brand Hygrometors that are reading 64% and 2 different Cigar Oasis that's reading 70%. So I have to believe it's the Cigar Oasis Hygrometors that are wrong. I've stopped beating myself up over this, I just set the Cigar Oasis to 75% to compensate for the wrong reading. (Which gives me a true 67% to 68%)

Pags
jpags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
monkeyboy

My Cigar Oasis XL humidifyer/hygromter is way off too. My old reliable Radio Shack Hygrometer gets recalibrated using the salt method at least annually, so it's almost always 99% right. I go by those numbers.

The Cigar Oasis (got from JR's during the Montecristo deal a year ago) is at least 8 points off, reading 75.8 when actual humidity is 67.0. So I ignore the Cigar Oasis XL readings completely and use it only for moisture delivery, not as a hygrometer.

I have not sliced into the Cigar Oasis case to get at the cuircut board to see if it's got a calibration adjustment, and judging by the non existant customer service at Cigar Oasis, I doubt I ever will. Just get yourself a reliable, and calibratable (sp?) hygrometer for accurate moisture reading.

Good luck.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote