Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
COCHISE

Well, it looks like the blue crystals are just dyed. The large size of the crystals would be good for containers with larger holes/screens. But I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your patience while we researched your questions on the ExquisiCat Pearl and Crystal Litters.

We carry two kinds of Silica, cracked crystals with blue specks and solid white "Pearls". The crystals have sharp edges that some cats find objectionable to walk on. The Pearls are polished into smooth little oval balls which give the product a nice soft texture for cats to walk on but also tend to roll around the floor if the cat gets any outside of the box.

The blue specks are just dyed crystals and contain no scent. Most brands like Tidy Cats, Fresh Step, etc. add these for cosmetic reasons and they provide no real value other than visual. We are still checking to see if any scent is added to the litter. We don't think so because silica is so effective at eliminating odors that a scent wouldn't be perceptible anyway. Silica is the most absorbent material available for litter and it traps all moisture and the odor inside the porous crystals or pearls. It quickly dehydrates solid waste rendering it odorless as well. Bacteria does not grow well on this material as it is so absorbent.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Gail
PetSmart.com Customer Experience
1989 Transit Way
Brockport, NY 14420
1-888-839-9638
COCHISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

You're assuming that the crystals will function like the beads. There's no reason to assume that. Made of the same materials you say? Maybe so. But nobody has used these particular crystals. If you just want to buy some to experiment with, that's fine. But if you want good results the first time, get the beads. I bought mine at the Gurney Mills PetSmart.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #23
COCHISE

Well, my conclusion is ...

I don't know what I'm going to do, but when I do it, I'll post my results so you can all share in the knowledge I aquire.
COCHISE is offline   Reply With Quote