Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
Bad Ash

7 Y.O. Excalibur/Puros Indios Maduros

Recently sampled 2 well aged smokes to see how the years have treated them. One was a 7 year old Excalibur #3 (toro) Maduro, the other a 6 year old Puros Indios Especiale No.1 (churchill) Maduro. The Excalibur was purchased in '96, the PI in '97. According to my notes, both cigars came from excellent boxes. Been smoking a lot of these older sticks lately, and it's interesting to see which blends seem to hold up to the extended aging. One interesting thing I've noticed is that extended aging (in a properly maintained climate) seems to really improve how a cigar smokes. The draw seems to open up a bit, and most seem to burn razor straight, with a nice ash and barely perceptible carbon ring.

Smoked the Excalibur #3 first. The thick broadleaf wrapper was loaded with tooth. It burned and drew beautifully. It still had that classic Excalibur flavor profile but seemed to have lost a bit of strength and a good deal of flavor. The smoke was smooth, but seemed a bit dry tasting. I'm wondering if this woud have done better if kept at closer to 70% RH? All in all, the Excalibur #3 maduro was still a good smoke, but it clearly had lost something along the way. This was a bit of a disappointment as I had thought this blend would have held up better due to the great luck I've had with aged Punch maduros.

Next up was the Puros Indios Especale No.1 maduro. The first thing that caught my eye was the wrapper leaf. Puros Indios are noted for having some great looking wrappers, and this was no exception. Oily, oily, oily, with some tooth, and more of a CM shade than a true maduro. Very firm to the touch, but the draw was just perfect. Unlike the Excalibur, this cigar literally exploded with complex flavor, and had retained most if not all of it's medium strength. Rolando Reyes cigars seem to have a distinct flavor that reminds me of chestnuts. But this stick was also earthy, spicy, and cedary with a long finish that seemed to coat your mouth. This was one of those rare cigars that actually gets better as it burns on down. I rarely smoke a cigar past the band, and usually go for something a little smaller than a churchill, but I couldn't get enough of this stick. What surprised me the most was how rich this cigar was. If this is any indication of what the PI Viejo tastes like, I'll be buying 'em!
Bad Ash is offline   Reply With Quote