Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
Da Bunny

WARNING! Don't go to Reno without an evacuation plan and extraction forces on standby !!!

It all started simply enough on Tuesday, in Yuba City, CA, where only two days before, HBooker had prepared a staggering feast and prolonged herf. We drove down to Sacramento to visit NorCalMark at his Tower Pipe & Cigar Shop. Mark and his Dad made us feel greatly appreciated. We exchanged a few cigars, then Kathy and I restocked our humidors with OPUS X, 858's, AVO XO's and CAO's and a couple nifty new toys. Mark had to leave to go sign the papers on his new house, so we had to cut the visit short. We took our goodies out to the mighty Subaru and rearranged everything on the hood of the car. Locals stopped to stare at the two untanned strangers bent over their plastic boxes, cackling hysterically, then scurried away.

Having been swept up in herfing fever, Kathy said she felt like accepting the innocent looking invitation from Dave Dehls to visit Reno that had crossed our desk just prior to leaving Seattle. We gassed up the Subaru and went off on a tour of CalTrans construction sights enroute to Reno.

HBooker had e-mailed Dave our cell phone number, so plans were made to meet at the Reno Tinderbox shortly after our arrival. Fortunately, I had a brief period of time to plunder the store's supply of Fuente SGs before replacing the tattered remains of my civilized veneer and making introductions. Dave and a number of friends showed up of meet us (Who, US?). As always, La was handling all the civilized stuff while I sat at the bar, guarding the loot and enjoying the free drinks. Then it was off to Michael Bros. Steak House for the gathering of the clan and cocktails. A private room had been reserved for us where we could herf, eat and herf, drink and herf, and then herf over Turkish coffee. Everything was excellent. The wine, champagne, salad, steaks, and dessert, were absolutely world class, as was the service. Our server Sarah, was more than a match for me, she burned me down like I was a nasty hive of wasps. I was forced, on occasion, to resort to the sort of behavior I normally reserve for guys like Duffer.

While I was there, I bribed Dave and Doyle for permission to give Duffer and Toje as much crap as I wanted too, they didn't demand much.

It is impossible to say enough good things about the wonderful people who make up the WAC&SG. If I had only known, we could have donated our personal belongings to the Goodwill and packed our Subaru with gifts worthy of these fine people. Especially whips and chairs for Dave's wife, Shelly.

In spite of their warm invitations to spend the night and help them inaugurate the new WAC&SG world headquarters, we stuck to our schedule of traveling the interstates at night, when all the jewelry stores and outlet malls are closed.