Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #41
beevod
Herf God

Try waiting on tables -- you will never lack for loutish customers.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #42
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
Try waiting on tables -- you will never lack for loutish customers.
sadly true. I try very hard to be a good customer with the waitstaff.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #43
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Same here. I have made it a point to tip a whole lot better. I started seeing what people leave on the table, and hell, some of the places we visit, I see people leaving two bucks on the table after a full, sixty or more dollar meal. I don't care if your old, have three kids, work at walmart, whatever, that old woman is actually working for less than minimum wage, and would appreciate a little gratitude for running that coffee pot past your table every five minutes.

A few years back I realized that I was being a bit chintzy. We were giving a full fifteen, but there we are both buying from the discount menu and drinking water, walking out of a place for $25, and it would have been nice to give a tip more in line with $40. So we started doing twenty percent, and usually rounding up.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #44
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I tip proportional to the quality of service. I'll go as high as 25 or as low as 10. Only one time did I leave a penny tip. The waitress used foul language in front of my kids. While I have been guilty of the same, I wasn't doing it gratuitously and I certainly wasn't looking for a gratuity.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #45
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

it is more than tipping, it is engaging with servers as if they are humans not galley slaves. The stuff I see people do and the things I hear are frightening... it isn't common but wow

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

It's not only waitrons, it applies to all tradespeople. Getting to know them and treat them nicely and they will remember you and can pay enormous dividends through the years.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #47
beevod
Herf God

Generally amazing how far people will go for you if you're decent to them.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #48
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Being who I am, I go to extreme measures to be nice to those poor creatures who are out there ringing up sales and taking orders. I've been there. I've had people make me so angry that it sent my blood pressure so high that my vision started to swim, but I don't recall ever throwing my professionalism away. On the other hand, there have been times that I have been on the other side, someone who would be serving me at some level would learn the meaning of outrage.

Once I took my wife to a breakfast. Jesus, the woman poured my coffee and put it on the table, there was lipstick on the cup. I pointed it out, she wiped it off and set it back down. Wife's cup had stained rings.

The gloves came off and we left.

There was the time my wife ordered cape cod fish and got Cajun. So many shoe leather steaks. You can't expect much at a chain, and the one with the notebook isn't usually at fault. It's better, imo, to take that up with the manager, I usually do that in an email.

Truthfully, our service people around here are AMAZING.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #49
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
After seeing her in "Monster," I dumped Charlize for Scarlett Johansson.
Charlie aged a whole lot better. Scarlett is about five years away from a terrible shock. She's going to use two million dollars of surgery as a tax deduction and it won't be allowed.