Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Doug's Cold Tequila Salmon

There's something very summery about serving salmon cold. Not only does doing so make for a refreshing respite from having to suffer a last-minute blast of cooking heat on an already hot day. It also tends, I find, to enhance the more subtle flavours of the fish. Here's an interesting variation I whipped up yesterday...

You will need a nice, fresh salmon filet. Slice it into 1 to 1½-inch wide pieces to make final serving easier. Leave the skin on.

Spread slices of lemon and chopped white onion (Vidalias even better) over the bottom of a roasting pan or large casserole dish. Pour in enough water to just barely cover the lemon and onion.

Rub the pieces of salmon filet with first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and arrange them, skin side down, on top of the lemon and onion. Do not season.

Cook uncovered in a hot (450ºF) oven until almost fully done (usually 10 to 15 minutes depending on your oven). Promptly remove from the oven and let cool. Transfer the pieces of salmon filet to a large plate and place them, covered with wax paper or saran wrap, in the bottom of your fridge.

Pour some Tequila (1 to 2 ounces) into a saucepan, and add honey to taste (I used about a teaspoon). Add some very finely chopped lemon peel, and bring the mixture to a 'soft' boil. Then add some corn starch dissolved in water to the mixture, and stir continously until the sauce thickens to the consistency of a glaze. Season with mint (either chopped fresh or rubbed dry), sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Remove from the heat and place in the freezer until cold.

Serving couldn't be simpler. Just place the pieces of filet on your plates and spoon some of the glaze over the top. You can optionally adorn the filets with fresh whole mint leaves.

As side dishes, I prepared a cold pasta salad tossed with the same oilve oil and hot pepper Kalamata olives as well as a celery and carrot salad tossed with a bit of sesame oil.

Recommended wine accompaniment is a good dry or off-dry Riesling. I chose a reserve Riesling from Prince Edward County, but a fine Alsatian or Mosel-Saar-Ruwer would also pair splendidly well.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
samiam2
Club Member

Doug, as usual the words make me want...I will have to give SWBMA a copy for fixing when the weather warms up...thanks..samiam2 cooling..
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Awesome recipe, Doug. I plan on attempting it very soon. Maybe you should write a cook book? Eh?

-Mike
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I've been enjoying a lot of cold salmon lately myself...although I've been curing my own gravlax and enjoying it either with fat-free cream cheese on organic whole-wheat toast (bagels have too many calories and the toast approximates the flavor) or scrambled with egg whites and a little minced red onion.

Gravlax is really easy to make. Take a whole salmon fillet, rinse it and pat it dry. Remove any pin bones your fishmonger might have missed in the thickes part of the fillet. Cover the salmon with fresh dill sprigs. Make a cure of equal proportions of Kosher salt and table sugar with a healthy amount of cracked black pepper aded into it. Give the fish a healthy coating of the cure and then sprinkle it thoroughly with either gin or vodka (this is one of the few places I appreciate the juniper flavor in gin)--the dill and the pepper are better carried by alcohol than water. Wrap the fillet in a double-layer of foil, tuck it in a zipper bag and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, take the fish out, rinse it thoroughly, sprinkle it with table sugar, re-wrap it and leave it in the fridge for a week before slicing it and consuming it. It's not only a very good source of protein, but what fat it has in it is loaded with those wonderful omega-3 fatty acids that are supposed to be so good for us.

I keep one fillet in the fridge curing and another sliced and ready for eating.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Doug,

This recipe is a keeper. I executed it this afternoon as an accompaniment to a nice piece of filet mignon and my very own ancho-chile scorched broccoli. It's a winner. Thanks!

Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel 2006 paired nicely with the heavily marbled filet. Only 10 bucks, too!
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote