Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Problems with RH and CO+

I got in on the group buy for the CO+ and I have been generally happy with it. My problem recently is that the RH in the cooler (about 50qt) will not stay below 70%. I have the CO+ turned on the lowest setting, but the RH keeps going up to 70, even after I take the cooler lid off and let it air out, which brings it down to below 60%.

Now, here are all the details so you guys can make an accurate diagnosis.

1. Cooler is about 50qt - there is no drain plug.

2. It currently has 5 full boxes of cigars and the CO+.

3. The cooler is stored in the basement of my house which has central a/c. The temp is right around 70 all the time and the outside humidity is between 50-60%.

4. I have tested the RH with multiple digital hygrometers all tested with a Boveda pouch to be within 1-2% accurate.

5. The CO+ only turns on when I open the cooler. It doesn't seem to run while the cooler is closed, unless the RH is low. I currently have the CO+ set at it's lowest setting, which should provide an RH of around 60%. (I am aiming for 65%, but even at the lowest setting it's getting up to 70).

This is my thinking. Even though the CO+ is not turning on, the water in the reservoir is still evaporating. In the closed envorinment of the cooler, it can't escape and the RH keeps building. Any thought on this? Thanks.

By the way, I am not really too concerned, as I will be getting my mini in about a month and will no longer be using the cooler. Possibly, in the mini, the problem will cure itself.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
frkystylie

Beads brother, beads
frkystylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by frkystylie
Beads brother, beads
Beads are great, but for a 3 cubit foot cabinet, I think an active humidifier would be best. That's what Bob Staebell recommends. But for a cooler and desktop, beads are the way to go. I'm only using the CO+ now in the cooler because I was testing it out for when I get the mini.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
davesabot

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say your cooler seal is so good that the evaporation of the water in the CO PLUS unit it raising your humidity. Have you tried removing the wick so the water stays towards the bottom of the unit?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesabot
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say your cooler seal is so good that the evaporation of the water in the CO PLUS unit it raising your humidity. Have you tried removing the wick so the water stays towards the bottom of the unit?
Dave, I have not tried removing the wick. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
prflani
Herf Meister

Adding some 65% media to the cooler is the way to go...The media will prevent the RH from going too high...The CO+ cannot do that, it can only add humidity...I also like the idea of lowering or removing the wick in the CO+...
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
ElkTwin

3 cubit foot or 3 cubic foot? Three cubic feet would be fine with beads, especially in a sealed cooler.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:51 AM   #8
Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Quote:
Originally Posted by frkystylie
Beads brother, beads
Beads are great, but for a 3 cubit foot cabinet, I think an active humidifier would be best. That's what Bob Staebell recommends. But for a cooler and desktop, beads are the way to go. I'm only using the CO+ now in the cooler because I was testing it out for when I get the mini.
Rob, The seal on my Mini is very good and like your cooler, my oasis never runs, but still gives off moisure that isn't needed this time of year.

I simply remove it and let the beads work. I dump the water in the oasis and change the wick ( It's Bobs Model ) and put it away till winter. I use 1 pound of beads at all times. Last summer I never had to add any water to my beads.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:58 AM   #9
Dakota

Oh yeah, good thinking guys. Next winter I am going try it without the wick. the fan, water and beads could be enough.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:01 AM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin
3 cubit foot or 3 cubic foot? Three cubic feet would be fine with beads, especially in a sealed cooler.

What can I say, I can't type.