Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
lazyskills

CAO MX2 Robusto

Got this cigar today by a good friend. Couldn't wait to smoke it (and he wants to know how I think of this cigar), so I'm smoking this beauty right now.

Appearance: Nice and innovative band and it's easy to remove (no extra glue sticking on the cigar). The cigar looks veiny, but when I try to feel the wrapper, I couldn't feel the veins. The wrapper has a light oily hue. It looks like a round cigar, but it feels lighly box-pressed. I don't know if it's due to the shipping or not (when round cigars get "squeezed" together, they kinda get a little bit "squared").

Construction: Solid cap and body, only few insignificant soft spots.

Pre-light properties: Cut has a bit of resistance. It has a crisp smell with hints of pepper. Draw is smooth with light hints of cedar and pepper.

Characteristics: Very easy to light, but burns uneven. It has a very firm ash, and the color has a mixture of dark/light gray, and white. Not flaky whatsoever. It's a slow-burning cigar, the resting smoke is dense and consistent. It has a smooth draw, and doesn't need to relight.

Flavor/taste: This medium-bodied cigar has a woody core, splash of spice, hint of sweetness, very slight hint of pepper, and a long herbal finish. Large smoke volume. The flavors of the cigars are too distinctive. After a third has passed, the flavors mellowed out. This cigar is uni-dimensional, yet enjoyable. Even though I enjoy the “crisp” tastes, I would imagine that it’ll be a better cigar after sleeping for a while. This cigar doesn’t burn hot.

Value: If it is $4 (MSRP), I would think the price can be lowered a little bit for this cigar. (I would imagine most of us will find a way to pay lower than MSRP, so it's not a biggie ).

Overall experience: First off, the experience is nice because I’m one of the lucky people who get to smoke this cigar before it’s released to the public. I thought this cigar is flavorful, and it didn’t disappoint me. However, the flavors are a little bit light after half has passed. I haven’t had a crisp cigar before. When I say crisp, I meant this cigar doesn’t have any aftertaste, and it feels clean. The bad experience I have on this cigar is that I don’t know what I’m smoking after half of it has passed. Even though it was flavorful at the beginning, the last part is too bland. Major burning problem, but ash is so firm. I like this cigar for a change of pace, but not an everyday cigar.

This is JMHO, so if anyone is rooting for CAO, don't get PO'd by my review.
lazyskills is offline   Reply With Quote