Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Augie754

A. Pontillo Maduro Toro

Upon reading a post from Stevo awhile back about these, I decided to pick up a couple of these, a natural churchill and maduro toro at the local Tinderbox. They were both about $6.50. Last night I decided to start with the Maduro.

A. Pontillo Maduro Toro 5.75 x 54
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Aesthetics (9.1): This was a great looking cigar. It was a dark oily wrapper that was kinda toothy. It was practically flawless, one of the better looking cigars I've seen.

Construction (9.0): This cigar is as advertised, packed full of tobacco and firm. The pre-light draw seemed a little tight, and upon lighting it was still slightly tight and a hard to get alot of smoke and it burnt at a slight angle. But after about an inch it smoked perfectly the rest of the way, plenty of smoke, and razor sharp. The ash was solid throughout. These have the potential to have incredible construction.

Flavor and Strength (8.2): This was a nice consistent smoke, a typical medium-full maduro. There wasn't any wow factor, but still very enjoyable and it never got harsh.

General Comments: This cigar reminded me of a better constructed Oliva 'O' Maduro. And since it made by Oliva, I guess you would expect that. I've seen these online for $108 for 20. I'm not sure I buy a box of these, but a single here and there is good. I typically like naturals better, so I'm looking forward to that.

Overall Rating: 8.5

Here is a list of Ratings I've given, to put this in perspective. My Ratings Spreadsheet

By the way, this is my first review. I've never been able to pinpoint the individual tastes like some of you can (like "hints of chocolate"), so I've shied away from posting any reviews. I do know when a cigar is good and basic tastes, bitter, sweet, spicy, etc. So I thought I give it a shot since I have to do some reviews for the blind review debaire is putting on.