Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
BigCubano

Don Kiki Green Label Corona

Cigar: Don Kiki Green Label
Vitola: Corona

I got these as a bundle that came with a small humi I ordered from CC. The bundle consisted of Red and Green Label Kikis. I smoked a Red right after I got them and didn't care for it at all. Bitter taste, no smoke, tight draw. I smoked this Green Label after about a week in the coolerdor.

Construction/Appearance: Nice, natural wrapper that was evenly constructed. Cigar was smooth to the touch and when applying a little pressure felt firm with no soft spots. I would say this cigar is well constructed. The cigar had a nicely tanned wrapper. The only blemish was tiny area in the middle of the cigar that was a little darker than the rest of the wrapper.

Pre-Light Smell, Taste and Draw:
The pre-light draw seemed a bit tight. The cigar smelled rather sweet with an earthy tone. Upon tasting it, it tasted sweet almost like raisins.

The Best Part, Smoking: The cigar lit up easily and immediately produced large quantities of white smoke. I was suprised as the Red Kiki I smoked produced very little smoke. The smoke remained volumous throughout the smoking of the cigar. It produced a nice gray ash for almost two inches before my clumsy self knocked my hand against my leg and knocked the ash off. It might have gone a bit longer. As for the draw, it was perfect...not too tight and not too loose. This is the first cigar I've had in a while with such a good draw.

As for the taste, I would say it was mediocre. Through the first third of the cigar, there was a mellow taste present that resembled a fresh tobacco taste with hints of coffee. I was quite suprised at the taste since I've heard these were dog rockets. As the cigar transitioned from the first third to the second third, the cigar started getting a bit bitter. As the second third progressed, the taste of gasoline started to appear. This was a little unenjoyable. As the cigar progressed up until the close, this bitter flavor subdued to a point but never returned to the mellow flavor it began with.

The cigar burned evenly and slowly and lasted about 40-45 minutes which I think is pretty good for a corona (in my limited experience).

Conclusion: Overall, the cigar was well made and smoked well but the taste made the experience less enjoyable than it could have been. Green Labels are supposed to be mild but this one gave me a buzz that the Red Label left me without. I definitely would not call this a dog rocket as its one of the better cigars I've smoked recently in the 2 dollar and under category, but I dont think I would recommend it over something like an FdO. All in all, this cigar was definitely smokeable and with age, the taste might become better.
BigCubano is offline   Reply With Quote