Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-29-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

I've been using all sorts of things for humidifiers for years now, but when I got my "JR's" ERDM humidor I wanted to get a nice looking 'green foam' type humi for this beautiful humidor. Here's the question for you experts:

I went to my local shop and looked at all the different 'Credo' types they carried. These range in price from $24.95 to about $75 (these are ALL the 'foam' type).

What the heck is the difference? They are little boxes with holes in them, containing about 10 cents worth of oasis foam. I gave up and went back to my .50 cent soapdish filled with crystals (soon to be filled with Climmax beads).

Is there something I'm missing here? When I first got started on a very limited budget, I would take old Skoal plastic snuff cans, drill holes in it, and insert a piece of Oasis - looks like the same thing to me (only a heck of a lot cheaper!).

For $40 (average price of the ones he had) I can get a pound of Climmax beads and a BUNCH of little tupperware containers!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:19 AM   #2
love_this
Club Member

You pretty much hit it on the head.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
mhotek

Do you remember all of the brands you looked at? There are differences, but $75 for a passive humidifer is VERY steep.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I just use a plastic container. I place either beads or oasis in it.

"The Italian Stallion" fvfanmc £Ş
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
jchamb
Club Member

I can't recall the names of all the products, but they all consisted of three things:
1. Ventilated plastic case
2. oasis or similar
3. Velcro or similar for attachment.

Assuming all the plastic is about the same (varying only in the nifty design on the front), and all the oasis is pretty much the same, that leaves the velcro to be worth at least 20 bucks!

So I guess my question is this - what is the difference between a small plastic box with oasis inside and velcro on the back costing $40, and the same item costing $8 (like the ones from JR's or Holts). Am I missing something here?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:17 AM   #6
Herfules
Club Member

After having humidity problems with standard oasis-type humifdifiers, I posted and got help from Vern (will thank him properly tomorrow in a post as I am tired and spacy right now) and got the Climmax beads from him asap. I used the humidifier containers that were filled with oasis. Took out the 50/50 soaked foam, wiped it clean, cut some thin pieces of new foam to cover the holes, then poured the beads into them. So far, it appears they're gonna work great. In my cooler, I just used the container Vern sent the beads in.

Peace,
NDinNC

"I don't want Fop dammit. I want Dapper Dan. I'm a Dapper Dan man!"
Old 03-30-2002, 06:17 AM   #7
jchamb
Club Member

I don't use foam very much anymore, but this was such a beautiful humidor that I wanted something that looked nice as a humidifier (they come without one). I thought that instead of using my normal soap dish/crystals, I'd put a good looking humidifier in the lid - and then fill it with beads.

I have some beads coming from Vern on his group buy, so I'm replacing a lot of the crystals I'm using with the Climmax beads. Basically I just wanted the "box". Apparently that little plastic box is the expensive part!
Old 03-30-2002, 07:03 AM   #8
jchamb
Club Member

Well, I decided to just end this search once and for all (I've had this humidor since early November!).

Went to mhotek's site and got a Climmax Premier humidifier for a bargain price. so there!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:42 AM   #9
Pharmr

that was your best move!!..congrats!!

Şharmr£