Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

In the past few weeks I've been trying out the Fuente SG line. In order, I tried the Cuban Beli, Dbl Chateau, 858 and last night I tried my first little Chateau.

The Cuban Beli, was awesome! and I have a box on the way. The D-Chateau and 858 were not so great. But this little chateau was another great experience. It seems to me these 4 smokes are vastly different in flavor.

Prior to lighting I noticed some rather large veins on the wrapper, and was thinking this is a little rustic looking. The construction was quite good however, and the cigar felt firm but not hard. After cutting, I savored the taste for a minute or two before lighting, and I immediately noted that the taste was very sweet, almost like candy, not tingly at all - odd.

Upon lighting, more sweetness, and a very smooth earthy aroma immediately enveloped the air. Smoke volume was very dense. The flavor was smooth, with an overtone of sweet spice, like maybe anise or something... I never did quite put my finger on it. The strong aroma of cedar was also apparent with every puff, and maybe that was also contributing to the sweetness.

As I smoked it, the sweetness remained as an overtone throughout the cigar, but it did ease a little in the second half. The flavor profile was very smooth and creamy, but unlike the Cuban Beli, it didn't have as much power, rather it had a nice earthy mellow flavor, never edgy or rough.

Similar to the Cuban Belis I've smoked, it had burn problems. In fact, I had to relight twice. Despite the burn problems, I truly enjoyed this little gem, and I intend to get more.