Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2001, 07:11 PM   #1
Ted
Club Member

I've been trying different brands and blends of tobacco with abandon since taking up the pipe this year. In the beginning, I really enjoyed blends with good doses of Latakia or Oriental as these seemed to provide the stout flavors and body that I was accustomed to, being a former cigar lover. Lately though, I've been trying Virginia and Burley blends and found that while the flavors are not as "in your face", the range and subleties of taste have increased exponentially.

Today I bought a tin of GL Pease Barbary Coast. This is Burley / Virginia blend with a tough of Perique and finished with a light topping of brandy. The initial aroma is quite delicious, reminding me of dark chocolate and cherries. I packed one of my new/old pipes ... a carved Rino Scultura that I bought used and cleaned up ... with this fine tobacco and proceeded to burn same. The whole bowl was rich and smooth, with underlying hints of that dark chocolate and cherry flavor appearing from time to time. It never made the pipe hot and there were only a few gurgles, solved quickly with a single cleaner. There was never a bite and the pipe was dry as I finished the bowl. A very pleasent, slight sweet aftertaste lingered long after I was finished. The nicotine level is mild so this could be smoked all day with no problems.

Mr. Pease sure has a way with tobacco and this blends has now found it's way to the top of my list.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote