Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
ElkTwin

Fuente Chateau King B

Fuente Chateau King B
Filler: D.R. - Binder: D.R. - Wrapper: Ecuador
6x55

Wrapped in crisp, clear cello bearing the Chateau Fuente King B moniker, the cigar was a classic #2 sized torpedo. It came sporting a black ribbon over a corset-tight cedar sleeve cinched tightly at the foot. The dark wrapper was rimed in sparkly plume. The cigar felt heavy in the hand with a dense roll. Small veins graced the skin-tight cloak which wound artfully up the stick to the well-crafted point. The pre-light aroma was redolent of cedar, as expected, but also contained an earthy richness of peat and spice. Clipped deeply, the pre-light draw was perfect and tasted of clay and cardamom. A tingle on the lips and tongue foretold the strength of the blend.

A Simple wooden match, scratched to life, brought the cigar alive. The foot breathed billows of light colored smoke into the warm and humid evening air and the stick bore an initial flavor that offered muted tones of coniferous resin and sharp tannin. The draw quickly closed down a bit as the first large puffs drifted away on the torpid breeze. As the medium grey and slightly flaky ash built to an inch or so. A stately black seam ran, as on the back of old-fashioned silk stockings, down one side of the cigar's ash, and the flavor rapidly evolved to include the tart bite of citrus peel and a generous dash of Oriental spices. The same exotic spice, although not as pronounced, was showcased in the alluring aroma carried on the curling tendrils of smoke curling from the foot of the cigar.

The flakiness of the ash diminished at the 2" point, and a small notch led the chevron of grey and black in the ash as it marched up the aforementioned seam. On a quiet bench under a moderately overcast Cambridge sky. I enjoyed the flavor of the cigar transform itself again, this time into a rich, leathery offering full of smooth peat and carrying a slightly tingly and warm finish that lingered pleasingly.

Somewhat larger than is typical of my recent selections, this offering was satisfyingly complex, moderately strong, and reminded me, quite favorably. of the Sun Grown Cuban Belicoso. The dark, beautiful wrapper lent a delightful counterpoint to the spicy overtones. A pleasant way to spend 1 1/2 hours. Recommended.

Appearance - 10
Construction - 9
Flavor - 18
Finish - 9
Aroma - 10
Smoking Experience - 19
Overall impression - 18

Total: 93/100
Old 07-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

Another jazznut attempt?

Nice review.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
JCole311
Club Member

This is one of my new favorite cigars, I just can't get enough of them. Salty, spicy, oily, it is a great cigar.

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/JCole311/
JCole311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
InfrnalSky
Club Member

Of the sungrowns, these and the Chateau Fuentes are my favorites. The King B has a lot of flavor and strength, but doesn't over-power you. These are very enjoyable smokes.

Eddie
InfrnalSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
olotti
Club Member

Nice reveiw I really need to get my hands on some of these, I love the sungrowns.

"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson
olotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
jaroth28
Herf Meister

Sounds like a great cigar! Thanks for the review!
kind."

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
jaroth28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
cbw2647

A little 'heads up' for you B lovers....I was at Tampa Sweethearts yesterday....Boxes and singles,,,get em now, cause they're going to be in short supply.........
cbw2647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Stevo
Club Member

I'm with everyone on these bad boys. My new favorite smoke. Thankfully, I was able to grab the last 4 from my local B&M. Savin em for a special time...
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
justin51

Saw these last time I was the my local shop, passed on them.

What's MSRP on the cuban beli?

Should I regret not picking a few up?
justin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
jjmd
Club Member

I had heard these were being "recalled" - I assume b/c they were uniformly disappointing and a blend change was in order. Can anyone else definitively corroborate?

"A Pizza, a Pickle-tickle and a good Cuban smoke,
Makes a man happy, sleepy... and broke!"

No, come to think of it, I believe it was fitzonelove.

-Shrink
jjmd is offline   Reply With Quote