Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Numus

Save my DuPont Lighter!

So i bought a new bugatti lighters since my dupont no longer decides to light, but still would like to fix the dupont lighter.
I know it has butane in it (if i push the refill stem i can see some of it escape) but when i open the lid of the lighter none of hte butane makes it out.. thus it wont light no matter how many times i try... I called Dupont and they want 60-100 bucks to fix it (not happening) and wont give me tips on what to look for since it would open them to "liability"... any suggestions on ways to tell if it is clogged or how to fix it?
Numus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

vent all the gas. All of it. By pressing the refill stem until nothing else comes out.

Then get some computer compressed air, and click the lighter open, and spray the air into the combustion chamber carefully.

then try to light the lighter about 5 times - it won light, just look for a spark in the chamber.

Next - turn the 'flame adjuster' all the way down.
Fill with a good butane for about a 10 count.

turn the flame adjuster all the way up, then back 1/4 of the way and try to light it.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Numus

What combustion chamber? This isnt a spark ignition, it is a flint strike..
Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Cigary43

Bigjohn is giving you some great pointers...the only thing I would add ( I have over 25 lighters including Dupont and the Bugatti ) is turn the adjustment down to its lowest setting and purge completely...some think just because you don't see or hear anymore butane coming out there is still a small amount left in there. Wait a second or two and purge again to remove all traces of air in the chamber...this is what makes a relight tough because of the trapped air. Once you purge refill the lighter but don't pump the butane cannister. About 8 seconds is enough and then wait a few seconds and refill again for 4 seconds again to fill the chamber. A better way to refill esp. in lieu of keeping air out of the chamber is to put your lighter in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then refill. Doing it this way will ensure a better refill because the lighter is then at the same temp as the butane and when charged it will fill up the chamber as butane expands. Let the lighter come to room temp ( 5 minutes ) and turn the flame adjustment to 1/4 and light. If it doesn't light turn it another 1/4 turn and keep doing that until it lights. If it still doesn't light use compressed air but don't poke the nozzle into the top portion as sometimes the electrode gets bent just enough where lighting is almost impossible,,even if it sparks it won't light. I've had to use a paper clip to gently move the electrode.

If you hear hissing after you click the actuator you got problems...blown seal or the little supply tube has come off...it happens.

Use quality fuel esp. in high end lighters..Vector or Lava which is 5X refined fuel.

Last edited by Cigary43; 08-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Cigary43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Cigary43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numus View Post
What combustion chamber? This isnt a spark ignition, it is a flint strike..
If it's a flint then ensure you have a "working flint" and in good condition. If it is sometimes using another lighter to feed the flame in the non working lighter will get it to work after doing this a few times. Flint lighters once they go bad is a PIA to get to work again as you then have to go into the guts of the thing and that is why there is a price tag so high in fixing them. If it's an expensive one that's part of the joy of buying them...Always always when buying expensive things...get a warranty.

Last edited by Cigary43; 08-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Cigary43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Numus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary43 View Post
If it's a flint then ensure you have a "working flint" and in good condition. If it is sometimes using another lighter to feed the flame in the non working lighter will get it to work after doing this a few times. Flint lighters once they go bad is a PIA to get to work again as you then have to go into the guts of the thing and that is why their is a price tag so high in fixing them. If it's an expensive one that's part of the joy of buying them...Always always when buying expensive things...get a warranty.
100% sure it is a working flint (as it sparks above the ejection port which is right in the front of the lighter.. You get a nice bright flash when you flick the striker). I think somethin gis preventing hte butane from coming out of the chamber and into the ejection port..
Old 08-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

You're getting good advice about purging the tank completely, blowing out the area around the gas port/injector/whateveryacallit, and all that.

If those things don't fix the lighter, check out THIS THREAD for a little more invasive fix. I've used the technique that rocket15 describes on about a half dozen lighters, most of which I was just about ready to toss in the trash. Every one of them came out working like a champ, and none of them have required a second fix - the purge/blow/refill routine has kept them running trouble free for several years now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote