Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
lazyskills

Carlos Torano 1916 Churchill

Have smoked a few of the 1916's in the past few months, and I've decided to write a review on this cigar. Flavor is incredible, even though it doesn't have "strong" flavors, but they are easy to detect.

Here goes..

Appearance: Beautiful presentation with the cedar sleeve. I always like the double band because the cigar looks very "inviting" with this kind of band. The cigar has a beautiful oily sheen, typically seen on well-aged tobacco leaves. Band was a bit hard to remove, and I could see a tiny glob of glue stuk on the wrapper. No damages were found on the cigar.

Construction: Solid construction with very little tiney soft spots, negligable. Perfect cap construction (very easy to clip the head off)

Pre-light properties: Has a strong smell of cedar (maybe it's from the sleeve), and hints of pepper, with a subtle smell of tobacco. Easy draw, and has a hint of cedar, with tiny hints of pepper and spice.

Characteristics: It is pretty easy to light the cigar, the ash is grayish-white (more toward the light grayish tone), and it is firm. Slow burn rate, with nice continuous resting smoke, burns a little bit uneven. Draw is smooth, with no resistance.

Taste/flavor: This medium-bodied cigar is very flavorful. Has hints of wood, spice, licorice, with herbal, and sweet cocoa undertone. This cigar was harsh at the first couple of draws (but most cigars are like that), but it mellows out very well after a third has passed. Medium smoke volume, with smooth and creamy smoke. The nicotine level is a bit high (medium-strength). The aroma of the cigar has nice and light woody smell. When the cigar reaches a half, the strength mellows out, but the flavors are still present, and the flavor of toasted nuts just kicked in. The cigar never burns hot.

Value: Great tasting cigar with a medium-level price.

Overall experience: This is not my first 1916, and I must say it just gets better every time I smoke one. I hadn't develop my fond for Cameroon wrapper until I've smoked this cigar. Torano has topped itself with this new cigar this year. I am looking at the burning end of the cigar right now, and the wrapper seemed to be caramelized while burning, very nice sight.
lazyskills is offline   Reply With Quote