Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Skyler1534

Back to the Basics: H. Upmann Toro

Hello all,

I figured since there are more and more new smokers joining the ranks of the Lovers of the Leaf every day, I would do some reviews to give a feel for the basic cigars. This is the first in a series. Hopefully this will be helpful to new smokers and the seasoned, as well. Keep in mind, my opinions are my own and may differ from others. What I am really going for is describing the cigar, itself. Everyone has different tastes.

-Skyler

H. Upmann Toro:
An Evening With Ayn Rand and H.

Tonight I passed my time with two legends. One was the founder of Objectivism and the other a founder of a long line of cigars. Both were capitalistic: Ayn Rand was the epitome of rebellion from Soviet Russian society and Hermann “H.” Upmann was a former German banker. Unfortunately, both of these legends are deceased, but they were nice enough to leave behind their respective works of art. Ayn left her novel, We the Living, and Hermann left the famous cigar line bearing his name in Toro shape. I will leave Ayn’s work for another time, but I must voice my opinion on H. Upmann.

The first thing I noticed about this cigar was its very toothy Indonesian wrapper. The construction was very nice with only a few minor appearance flaws. The pre-lit aroma was your typical English Market Selection scent. Once lit; however, it was a different story.

I had no problem with my punch on this cigar and the cap held up perfectly. It was an easy light, but I did notice a draw that was slightly too tight for my liking. Still, I was compensated by a very nice spicy flavor with very mellow, earthy undertones following it.

The smoke from this cigar showed indications that it was well constructed inside: it flowed out from the head just long enough and then saved itself for my next draw. At the halfway mark, after two ashes and countless draws, it held its own. I did not have to correct the burn or relight at any point, which left me the opportunity to enjoy my reading.

I have never really been a fan of Upmann cigars, having dubbed them too ordinary, but taking it draw by draw, this turned out to be a very enjoyable cigar. Along with the spiciness, I could taste a strong wood base. It reminded me of the oak flavor you can taste in a nice, aged wine. Following the initial flavor, it topped itself off nicely with some slight hints of chocolate and almonds.

Though this cigar did not need a drink to improve its quality, I believe a nice Pinot Blanc would do well or an aged-whiskey blend for the harder drinks. So as Ayn spouted about egotism and capitalism and Hermann worked to produce his next masterpiece, I was left with a glass once filled with wine, a tumbler once filled with Scotch, and a mouth filled with a pleasant earthy aftertaste.

Would I recommend this cigar to my customers?

Yes. This would be a very nice cigar for a new cigar smoker for its range of friendly flavors and its consistency. It would also be a nice, relaxing change for seasoned smokers who have gotten enraptured in their own favorite brands. In addition, at a suggested retail price of $5.75, it can fit most any budget.

Overall Rating- B