Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 08-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

My foray into Chardonnay

So, for various reasons have been experimenting with white wine, but, I am only concentrating on chardonnay...

My first bottle was Raeburn 2017 @$20, I liked that one... But, at $20 not really an everyday one...

So next was turning leaf, $7, nope, it was very flat to me...

Next was Yellow Tail, an oaked one, $8 I think, it was OK, I am thinking I may not like the oaked ones... But not making that decision on just one example...

Tonight is Mcbride Sisters $15, it's not bad, but, I would rather have the $20 one for $5 more...

A friend recommended one, it's is oaked, and not cheap $40, Rombauer... I will give it a try next weekend, mainly just to see... He is fortunate he can afford any wine he wants, and at this point in his life only drinks what he likes whether it's $12 or $100...

Tomorrow and Sunday, I will pick something else I haven't tried...

Will be interesting where I end up with Chardonnay by the time it gets cold outside...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Wine is a journey. I used to love oak heavy chards, now I don’t care for them and prefer chards with little to no oak. For whites, I now prefer sauvignon blancs, and for hot summer days I have developed a liking for dry roses.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
N8DCJ
Club Member

Gumby

I was initially moving around, but, decided for now to just stick with the Chard's...

When it's cold, I usually stick with Northern Spain reds... Go good, at least for me, with cigars...

Like bourbon, those reds have the power to cut through the cigars basically...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Yep. But while it is hot try a sauvignon blanc with your cigar. Just be careful...it is such a tasty pairing that you might drink the wine like water.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Dan, if you do decide to broaden your white wine horizon beyond Chardonnay, you may want to check out THIS article of mine from a while back.

Cheers, Doug
Old 08-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

ABC Anything But Chardonnay... over oaked usually California Chard is like drinking vanilla. Look at French Chablis. Or White Burgundy. Usually even when oaked French wine is about balance and I find that a good thing.

Just bought 5 cases of a variety of Spanish and Portuguese whites, no Chard amongst it. I look forward to the exploration. Also no Vinho Verde amongst it and only a limited amount of albarino (and that some rule bending stuff).

By north of Spain I assume you mean Rioja. Be willing to explore the rest of Spain, the south can yield some stunning wine, as can Navarra.

Rombauer is oaked, it is expensive but it is very much oaked. I find that pairing to not work with cigars. But that is me.

Drink what you like, like what you drink, don't apologize for what you like.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Good advice, Jeff.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Good advice, Jeff.
thank you
that said I am not sure wine is the best foil to cigars. Fortified wines yes. still, maybe not so sure. However really good Riesling will pair, as will something less tannic or more mature like a gran reserva Rioja or a Granacha with some finesse to it.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
N8DCJ
Club Member

GR

Its tough to find unoaked, there are some, I will keep experimenting.... But as you, gumby and that crazy jazz guy mentioned, might want to expand my white wine experiment...

Thank you all for the input!!

Dan
Old 08-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
N8DCJ
Club Member

GR

Its tough to find unoaked, there are some, I will keep experimenting.... But as you, gumby and that crazy jazz guy mentioned, might want to expand my white wine experiment...

Thank you all for the input!!

Dan