Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

The Tubes

Man, just recently discovered this band and they are hilarious

For those who don't know, they were a 70's art rock band that lasted through the 80's and still do shows today. They kinda sold out in the late 80's with "She's A Beauty" and "Talk To Ya Later," but their early shit is awesome. These guys were a little before their time, from all I've read. They would've been an awesome video band, but unfortunately come around before MTV and all that junk.

Their early stuff is great, and most of it is parodying all the glam-rock excesses of late 70's music. They're particularly known for their lead singer, Fee Waybill, dressing up as the character of "Quay Lude," a drugged-out rip on David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Elton John. I highly suggest finding (NOT illegally downloading, cuz that would be wrong ) some of their songs, like "White Punks on Dope," (the first Quay Lude song) "Madam, I'm Adam," (an Andrew Lloyd Webber poke) or "Stand Up and Shout" (which is hilarious if you realize that its making fun of big live arena rock cuts with all the audience sing-alongs and that kind of crap).

Good shit
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote