Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

First (AND ONLY) Coolerdor set up!

Hey guys! I just got my very first coolerdor set up, thanks to my buddy Dale! Right now the Hydrometor is reading 80*, 73 humidity.....the degrees should go down...i've had my cigars upstairs all day (its over 85 up here..stupid air is broken). now 2 of my humi's + coolerdor are chillin in the basement. How often would you guys recommend letting it air out? and for how long? I'm currently keeping one humidor upstairs, but the rest in the basement. I'm hoping to one day whittle my stash down to just one humidor and a coolerdor....maybe have more premium smokes in them and my favorites. Right now i'm just trying to smoke a bunch of different cigars and form favorites!

-AJ

(PS: jsut because i have my coolerdor set up, DOESNT mean you FOGs can kick my mailbox! The no-package rule still applies hahahah .....hrmmm maybe i'll start my bombing campaign again soon?
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Deriffe
Herf Meister

If you keep cigars for any length of time at 80 degrees, be prepared for nasty little tobacco beetles. You gotta keep them cool.

What type of hygrometer are you using? I keep mine around 65% Relative Humidity. I like them a tad drier.

http://www.myspace.com/deriffe01
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
PuffTheMagicDragon
Starting Member

After a nasty outbreak of mold in my coolidor (lack of airing out coupled with using oasis foam for my humidifier) I make it priority to air mine out weekly, sometimes two or three time per week. In reality, just getting in and out to grab a smoke is good enough with a good airing out now and then. I even go as far as taking a fan and blowing it directly into tho cooler for 5-10 seconds to really get the stale air out. Talk about paranoid, eh.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

I'm going to go check on the temp/humidity before work...will post at work...Thanks for the advice guys!

-AJ
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
eagle eyes eric
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon
I even go as far as taking a fan and blowing it directly into tho cooler for 5-10 seconds to really get the stale air out. Talk about paranoid, eh.
Not if you've lost a bunch of sticks before. Being careful isn't being paranoid ... going and opening them every four hours (even in the middle of the night) and doing that may fall into that realm though.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #6
rookie139
Herf God

80?
Definitely get the coolerdor down in the basement stat!
I had to move my Avallo cabinet humi to the basement recently because of the hotter temps outside and it was a bitch to keep the temps steady in the front room (where it was located)
It's great in the basement (although I would've rather kept it in the front room..Looks sharp!) because the temps never go higher than 64-65 degrees
Old 06-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
SmoKerch
Herf God

HyGrometer

Since I don't use a desktop, I have my coolers open a minute or two each day to select a smoke or two.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #8
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie139
80?
Definitely get the coolerdor down in the basement stat!
I had to move my Avallo cabinet humi to the basement recently because of the hotter temps outside and it was a bitch to keep the temps steady in the front room (where it was located)
It's great in the basement (although I would've rather kept it in the front room..Looks sharp!) because the temps never go higher than 64-65 degrees
I checked the readings earlier this AM they read:

65.8* and 73 humidity! Only problem is....if my parents open the HUGE ass duffle bag LOL

PS: my coolerdor is decked out w/ a CW sticker !!!

My other two humidors made their way downstairs as well...they've been holding temps very well, i've been checking on them the past day or so.

My least expensive smokes (everyday) smokes...are upstairs in the boiler....if i lose a few i wont be upset...but I've gotta be careful about how many times i go downstairs & stuff like that...my parents are TOO good of parents. Anyways...have a good one guys!

thanks for all of the advice i received on making this coolerdor!!! I will continue to update, i hope there all stays well! ooo...I also aired all 3 out this AM for about 20 seconds each.

-AJ
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
b0rderman
Club Member

congrats on the new cooler and finding a duffle big enough to hide it in...

My mom say a boxpass that came in and she thought I ordered all those puppies...

Might have taken 10 minutes or so of explaining but now she knows what a boxpass is.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman
congrats on the new cooler and finding a duffle big enough to hide it in...

My mom say a boxpass that came in and she thought I ordered all those puppies...

Might have taken 10 minutes or so of explaining but now she knows what a boxpass is.
I'm just glad my box pass came when they were out of town! (The box weighed 12lbs, i can only imagine what the expression on her face would be