Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Truly, genuinely, iconic cigars.

I'd like to discuss brands that are at least 10 years old, it seems hard to call something that hasn't even been around since the boom ended (and maybe even survived it) as being an absolute classic.

Iconic, to me, would be the punch roth in maduro. Monte #2. Romeo bully, and maybe churchill. Punch double corona. La gloria cubana wavell. Trinidad robusto. cohiba robusto. Obviously, cuban versions would be included.

What else? 10 years or older, store or national brand, cuban or otherwise, what brand and vitola make the grade as iconic, classic, memorable things that everyone should smoke at some time in their lifetime? Which of the fuentes? which of the 5 vegas? which ashton? padron?

Think about this as being the core stock list for the best cigar store you could ever find, all to be collected in a room reserved the patrons who hate to browse, and just want to walk in and grab something that they know and love?
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Most of my submissions would be Cuban for TRULY timeless and iconic.

Now if you want to discuss newer things, since the boom, and on the cigar forums there are some, but I don't think they'd measure up to the Romeo y Julieta Churchill,
Partagás Lusitania
Montecristo #2
Hoyo de Monterey Double Corona
H. Upmann Petit Upmanns (due to JFK)
El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme
Ramon Allones Specially Selected

From these here forums, from then until now and back:

CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon from 1996 or 1997, made by Don Douglas Pueringer

Any Villazon-made cigars with an Oscuro wrapper
El Rey del Mundo Robusto Larga
Punch/Hoyo Rothschilds
Original Mayorgas
Carlos Toraño Exodus 1959
Maria Mancini Magic Mountains
Bahia 1997

That's what I have right now, have to leave will return to this post.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I'm going to stick with cigars that are still in production after 10+ years.

Iconic Cubans: Cohiba Robusto, Lancero, and Esplendido; Trinidad Fundadore; Montecristo #2 and #4; Ramon Allones Specially Selected; Punch Punch; H. Upmann Magnum 46 and Sir Winston; Partagas Serie D No. 4; Romeo y Julieta Churchill A/T; Bolivar Belicoso Fino and Petite Corona; El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme. (A vastly abbreviated list, I'm sure, but those are the ones that come most readily to mind.)

Iconic Non-Cubans: La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro; Punch Rothschild Maduro; Padron Anniversary Maduro Diplomatico; Ashton VSG Sorcerer. (Kind of difficult to pick any N/C as "iconic" based on the ever-changing nature of the market and using the 10-year standard, but those came immediately to mind.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

You guys have got the right idea. When I say limit it to something with age on the name, I'm trying to restrict this to brands that have served more than just a limited number of cigar smokers. The tatuaje brand and all of DPs things are huge, and in 20 years, will be considered iconic in their own right, but now, I'm looking for the things that were smoked by your grandfather and father, and are still hanging in there today, or even something that may not have been around for your grandfather, but have been around long enough to really hold up against the wash of time that scrubs away the papayos, george hamilton, lone Worf and such.

(yep, Lone Worf. You may have never heard of them, they were a lars number. harsh, obnoxious, and smelled like a burning clingon.)
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Fuente Don Carlos
JR Ult Padron Oscuro
Punch Robusto Oscuro
Padron Londres
Puros Indios No 2 (I think, the big torp)
LGC Wavell Maduro
Partagas #10 (whatever happened to this line?)
ERDM Flor de Llaneza
Fuente Opus X

I am not sure I like all these cigars, but I would say they are iconic

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Master Gates
Club Member

no amount of time will ever scrub away the Papayo!
Master Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I tell you, papayo and JR Alts certainly are iconic... if you want to start a discussion, and want it to get heated, then talk alt

I would add the Dunhill Special R to the list of iconic, and it may be the most consistant of them all.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Herf
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Gates View Post
no amount of time will ever scrub away the Papayo!
I might still have one around that HaGar gave me if you want to trade. I don't think I was ever desparate enough to actually smoke it.

Any green label Fuente, Hemmingway or Don Carlos
Any regular Padron
Anything from LGC including El Rico Habano
I've been smoking all of them for years.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote